Black Foundant Help

Decorating By Jryanhristov Updated 22 Dec 2011 , 2:44pm by jgifford

Jryanhristov Posted 18 Dec 2011 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 9

Iv worked with black foundant on a much smaller scale ( mainly in parts of decorations eyes, wheels the ceters of flowers etc..)and had to add in extra sugar just to get the consistencey right, I even at times had to warm it up , just to work with it but if I didn't work fast enough it would harden and crumple and have such a strange texture or harden like a ball of play dough or gumpaste but at least gumpaste will soften this doesn't .

This week I have a cake that requires the whole cake to be covered in black fondant, I'm terrified of this because of the issue I have with just getting a small piece of foundent to become black . I add a bunch of Wilton's black food coloring to the fondant for such a small piece but then the texture changes so much that I have to add confectioners sugar and more marshmellows to try and get it to act like the marshmellow foundant it once was before I added the food coloring . No other food coloring changes the consistency of my foundant as the black does .

Is there any reason for this? Do any of you have any advice as to how I can properly make a huge batch of black foundant with out running into the issues of its consistence changing to the point that is unrollable and litertly cracks in my hands or hardens like a rock . I can't buy pre made foundant that is black because unfortunately the stores in which I buy supplies at do not sell the black they have every other per made foundant but black ( I know hard to believe , I can't either) . I never bothered ordering it ahead because I never would agree to a black cake unless it was absolutely nessecery and I would have enough time to order the pre made stuff . I love making my own from scratch which is why black would be the only pre made foundant I Would buy because of the issues I itin counter with such a small piece.

However my husbands a militarty firefighter and is working on the Christmas shift and with such short noticed asked if I could make the fire house boys a cake for Christmas to cheer them up in away( many of them will be having there first christmas with out family) also so they can have dessert with there Christmas dinner together. So I agreed and when I asked what they all agreed on as a cake design they asked for a helmet , Who can say no to that ! Lol...but I have no time to order black foundant I ask is there an easier way to make it ? I have no choice but to make the foundant from scratch at this point but I'm clueless as to how I can get it to be black, with out having those huge issues and suggestions ?

Thank you !

8 replies
karateka Posted 18 Dec 2011 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 9

If I can't buy it pre-colored, I use my airbrush to do black and red. I can never get the color and consistency right when I dye it from white.

mclaren Posted 18 Dec 2011 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 9

Make dark chocolate fondant, add Americolor Super Black to it (Wilton, if you can't get Americolor at your cake supply store) till you get the desired color. Don't forget to let it set first (may take a day, wrapped in saran) to darken the color.

Jryanhristov Posted 18 Dec 2011 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 9

I thought about getting an air brush kit and I found one at the store I shop at they don't carry big items like this but it was the duff brand, the last one on the shelf and when I grabbed it I thought to my self wow this is small and light ! and guess what..... it wasn't that it was light... it was stolen ! I couldn't believe it I brought it to the register anyway and gave it to the manager and they were upset about it and so was I.I got my hopes up for nothing ..but needless to say he made a comment about how this is the reason they don't carry these kind of items in there store because they get stolen. I suggested they get a cage thingy were they can lock up those kinds of items and if any one wants them then they can get it at the register .....

But yup no air brush system another thing I have to order and most definitely will now that I know duff makes one that's small and perfect for I would need it for icon_biggrin.gif most deffinelty will plan on using that technique once I own one

Jryanhristov Posted 18 Dec 2011 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 9

@ mclaren - thank you , I will give the dark chocolate fondant a try and then add the coloring to it ,ill try letting it sit for a day or two as you suggested to get it darker . I never thought of that I actually thought the color would fade if I left it out to set . I did it once with red and it turned into a lighter red then when I first kneaded in the color . I'm guessing the black however wouldn't do that ..okay I'll give it a try I have an extra day in the case I screw it up .. Fingers crossed that I don't lol....

kendra_83 Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 9

In the future, I would definitely go with pre-colored black fondant. It's so much easier and less messy. I've also used a dark-chocolate fondant and tinted it with a little Americolor black gel but it's not even worth it if you have time to order the pre-colored stuff. It's more pliable, more smooth, and less likely to crack or discolor like MMF.

Debbye27 Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 9

I add dark cocoa powder to my fondant, let it sit for awhile, then add black to that, it doesn't take nearly as much, and if you wrap it tight, and let it sit for a few hours (if you have time) it will darken further. If my fondant gets hard, I pop it in the microwave for 15-20 seconds- I use homemade MMF all the time, and this works fine for me. I love the taste of the chocolate fondant, too!

Abeera Posted 22 Dec 2011 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 9

i hate when this happens..

i'll tell you what i did and i hope it will help...

when i melt the marshmallows, i add the black before adding all the sugar..if i'll add 4 cups sugar then after the first cup i'll add the color.. sometimes i use 2 blacks (wilton)...

adding too much sugar will be a disaster.. i leave it a bit sticky a rest in the fridge for 10 - 30 minutes and then start working with it.. and later i keep the extra in the freezer to use it when needed.. but i felt i can use it only once after freezing...

good luck

jgifford Posted 22 Dec 2011 , 2:44pm
post #9 of 9

Also keep in mind if it gets a little dry you can add shortening to it and that will soften it up and smooth it out. Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%