Flu Phobia And Going Down A Bumpy Road

Decorating By funtodecorate2 Updated 17 Dec 2011 , 7:24pm by kakeladi

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 4

HI,
I have a 3 tier cake due on the 27th of this month. I'm getting flu phobia because every year someone ends up with the flu. Last yr Myself and husband sick on Christmas eve and day! Not fun. Festivites canceled!
Anyway I'm considering completing the cakes and freezing them . Only the pre-made decorations would go on after setup. I can't imagine trying to finish these if I were to end up sick (Or having someone else finish this). It will be crusting cream cheese frosting. What do you think?
Other concern is I live 1 mi off main road. Terribly bumpy road. . So I would like to cakes down to church out of the freezer. Would they travel better frozen?. They will be in boxes with that skid stuff under them and skid stuff under the boxes as well. They will not be stacked till the next day. If they are frozen I can just leave them out on counter over night then stack the next day?
hope this isn't too confusing
thanks for any help

3 replies
BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 4

Based on the details you've given, they would travel well/safer frozen, unstacked. If the area is afe to leave caks on counter, then I would do so, if not, then they can be thawed in fridge. I would tort them but not fill them. I wrap each torted cake individually being careful to place them in the same order they were leveled and on the right cake, lol. I've never frozen cream cheese filling/icing, since freezing cream cheese changes the texture/taste (not a good taste at all) Perhaps others know of a way of freezing cream cheese filling/icing with good results. Hope you are well for the holidays.

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 4

I've made the crusting cream cheese before and froze it in a container. whipped again and it was great. Consistancy seemed to be the same. . I've froze completed cakes with buttercream and had no problems. I haven't frosted and decorated and froze this before I guess decorated is the key word here. Hoping after thawing it would still be holding up.
I guess I'm doubting myself and my abilites as I get closer to the date. Only doing this as a hobby i'm sure factors in.
Any other comments welcome please
thanks, Wendy

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 7:24pm
post #4 of 4

Addressing the flue issue:
If you were to become sick it would depend on 'how' you are sick - sneezing, sniffles, aches, can mean you still can set up the cake while wearing a mask.
If upchucking then you need to see about takiong meds to control and go about your work w/a mask.
Earlene moore's cr ch b'cream would be stable fzn. is easy to make and work with.
Yes, the cakes would travel best still fzn. & leaving them on the counter should be just fine also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%