Wilton Color Gels That Bad???

Decorating By camomama5 Updated 5 Jul 2014 , 6:58pm by saqunebi

camomama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camomama5 Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 15

Coloring vanilla fondant with Wilton black to make a grey fondant that I can dust with silver to make silver pearl necklaces but after adding black gel my fondant has a GREEN hue to it. Is it cause the fondant is vanilla or are Wilton colors that bad???? I have had this issue before but with a different color (coming out a different color)

14 replies
cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 15

Black is a combination of all colors and blending with white can make weird colors. Add more black and it may be necessary to add some powdered sugar to knead it in as it could become sticky. I have started buying black fondant and after using what I need then I wrap it up and freeze it. It really doesn't take too long to thaw so it saves time and agrivation.

Nazarine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nazarine Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 15

I started buying Americolors and love the black and the red. When I need black fondant, I buy it pre-tinted to save the hassle. But when I recently needed grey (to make a silver), I mixed some white with the Duff black fondant and got a brown! So, I tossed that and used white fondant with a drop or two of the Americolor Super Black. Worked great!

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 15

Wilton black, reds, royal blue, hunter green, and brown are HORRID get Americolor in those colors.
But I do prefer Wilton golden yellow & violet, they give me better colors than Americolor. There's wear ones with every brand

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 15

As others have pointed out for gray & black the best & easiest way to buy it premade. If you want gray all you need to do is pinch off about 1/2 teaspoon and mix the into about 1/4 to 1/2cup of whiteicon_smile.gif and........NO weired shadesicon_smile.gif

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 3:23pm
post #6 of 15

I was going to post what "cakegrandma" said: black is always a combination of all colors and can have a "hue" depending on the amounts of each they use to make the black! It's not that Wilton's black is "bad" it just may have more greens and blues in the black makeup.

I *think* if you want to balance out a greenish-gray, you would add a hair of the color opposite green on the color wheel (red through violet, depending on how green-olive-yellow the green is):

http://designhousebusqueda.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/color-wheel1.gif

camomama5 Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 3:24pm
post #7 of 15

Thank you all so so much. I have said this before but this time I am doing it and not looking back. Wilton colors (ALL of them...I probably have 20-30) are going in the trash right now! I have the colors I need(from globalsugarart.com) for this wedding cake. SO I will just keep ordering Americolor as needed. Thanks as always! I will buy the pre made black and save myself a giant headache!

Nazarine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nazarine Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 15

The only bad thing I found with the Duff black is that it seems almost impossible to get it to harden. I tried to use it for wheels on a car and it never did get to where I needed it. Next time I had to add a ton of tylose powder to it and give it 4 days - even then it wasn't ideal. Just something to keep in mind if you need to use it for modeling. I need to try a different brand of black fondant but the only kind I can buy locally is Duff. icon_sad.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 3:46pm
post #9 of 15

Wilton colors begin to harden as soon as any greasy substance gets near it...icing etc...even if you dip a toothpick in it that has a touch of icing on it the colors begin to harden.You can try and bring them back with glycerin but they make the icing splotchy.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 10:06pm
post #10 of 15

The retail "Duff" fondant is designed not to harden.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 18 Dec 2011 , 1:20am
post #11 of 15

I also use Duff's black fondant, but I find it so soft that it loses its shape when I try to pick up cut pieces. For example, I've cut zebra stripes and polka dots, and when I try to lift them off the mat, they stretch out of shape from their own weight. I've tried rolling it different thicknesses, but still have trouble with it. I think I'll try Satin Ice next.

IHeartCaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHeartCaking Posted 18 Dec 2011 , 2:00am
post #12 of 15

After my first experience coloring fondant black (a disaster much like what you're describing) I started buying my black pre mixed. I use Satin Ice and love it!

camomama5 Posted 18 Dec 2011 , 2:55am
post #13 of 15

Thank you all!

The_Puzzler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Puzzler Posted 18 Dec 2011 , 5:03am
post #14 of 15

Hi,
I used the candy clay method below with my Wilton black and red and the colours came out perfect for my Black and Red Spiderman cake.

http://sugarteachers.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-color-fondant-to-deep-rich-hue.html

saqunebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saqunebi Posted 5 Jul 2014 , 6:58pm
post #15 of 15

I had the same problem with McCormick Black. (It was Green in my mix)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%