Difference Between Petal And Pearl Dust

Decorating By camomama5 Updated 20 Dec 2011 , 4:31pm by TexasSugar

camomama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camomama5 Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 3:26am
post #1 of 5

Hello. Can anyone tell me the difference in appearance between petal dust and pearl dust when it comes to gum paste flowers? My calla lilies and white roses look flat and fake. HELP!! Thank you guys as always! I appreciate the time you always take to help!

4 replies
sweetcakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbyjen Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 3:50am
post #2 of 5

Petal dusts are flat colors. Pearl dusts give a little 'sparkle'. Another thing that's out there is luster dusts. I love, love, love luster dusts, but I like anything that sparkles a lot...lol... I find that luster dusts stick really well for me, and I have a hard time getting the pearl dusts to stick to my flowers. Here is a youtube video to maybe help you..

icon_smile.gif

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 4:07am
post #3 of 5

petal dust is for gumpaste flowers and leaves.... it gives it more of a realistic look. If your doing a fantasy flower the luster dust would be nice.

camomama5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camomama5 Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 4:08am
post #4 of 5

PERFECT!! Thank you so much!! I always thought luster dust and pearl were the same. Thank you so much for the clarification. Sounds like luster dust is the one i want.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 5

Petal colors are flate.

Pearl dusts have a iridescence to them. They are usually a white color with a colored iridencence.

Luster dusts are colors that have shimmer. (Think eye shawdows.)

Now Wilton's Color Dusts are Petal dusts, and their Pearl dusts are like Luster dusts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%