How Do I Make A Cake With "blood" In The Middle?

Decorating By Steph26 Updated 13 Jan 2012 , 1:59am by lrlt2000

Steph26 Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 3

Hi guys, I'm totally new here but have come across many helpful posts when I've searched google for any cakes I've been working on and needed help with so when I got this request I knew exactly where to go for any advice on it.

My best friend is getting married on 29th feb 2012 and has asked me to make her wedding cake *is soooo excited* her and her fiance have gone for a totally non-traditional idea which is cool cause she's always said she never wanted the puffy meringue style dress and big wedding idea.

The top tier is the one I'm most worried about, it'll be an 8inch red velvet cake but in the middle they've asked if there can be some type of bloody goo that when cut open will come running out and surprise their guests. The tier is gonna be decorated with lil gumpaste versions of themselves as zombies and random body parts scattered as they are both horror fans and I can't wait to try out some stuff but the goo is definitely something I've no idea on how to do.

I've know I've gotta have some kind of barrier between the goo and the cake so that it doesn't all leak into the actual cake but have no idea on what to do about it or what to use as the barrier or even the goo. I've thought of maybe using raspberry coulis or something as I've done that on red velvet cupcakes before and it was quite tasty.

If anyone knows or has tried this could you let me know so I can practice it between then and now? The cake is gonna need to be prepared and finished the night before we travel and it's going to need to go from my own house in a car to get on a ferry and then to the venue so something that doesn't need to be refrigerated is the way I'm gonna have to go.

As I said if anyone knows anything, even a technique they haven't tried out can they let me know.
Steph
xxx

2 replies
Lemmers Posted 18 Dec 2011 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 3

Your idea of the raspberry/strawberry coulis sounds like a good plan to me! I can't think of anything else apart from jam (which would look kinda congealed ha ha). Anything else I can think of would either be too solid so not drip, or would absorb into the cake!

Ooh, on second thought- maybe if there is a way you could hollow out the middle, put a buttercream barrier and then some melted white chocolate coloured red? Not sure whether it would set up again though- but maybe worth a practice try!

lrlt2000 Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 1:59am
post #3 of 3

The only thing I would consider doing to ensure whatever liquid you use doesn't soak into the cake (or push on whatever damn you use and ooze out the sides), would be to somehow make a hard chocolate "shell" to enclose your gooey substance.

I would probably use 2" layers, hollow out a shallow bowl shape out of the top of the bottom layer, spread a couple of coats of melted white chocolate to line that basin and let harden. Pour in the goo. I'd then coat the bottom of my top layer with the same melted white chocolate.

Granted, I'm not sure how you'd get any layer of ganache or icing in the middle, but if effect is all you're going for, then you shouldn't need any!

Good luck! Can't wait to see pics!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%