How To Eliminate Color-Bleeding With High Contrast Colors?

Baking By mistypup Updated 19 Dec 2011 , 7:45pm by GeminiRJ

mistypup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistypup Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 5

What's a good way to avoid color bleeding when icing cookies? I see so many cute designs on this site with black outlines and white icing on the cookies - - - and I'd like to know how to keep the thin black outline without it running into the lighter colored icing.

In the past, I've used royal icing - - - is there a better recipe to use?

For outlining in black with a contrasting color next to the outline, how long do you usually let the black dry before adding the next color?

Thanks for your help!

4 replies
Jillfcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jillfcs Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 11:09am
post #2 of 5

I do a ton of black detail outlining with flooding on my cookies. I use Royal Icing. I pipe the black detail icing first and let it dry overnight, then I flood. I know it is a pain, but if you are patient and let the detail icing completely dry, you will have good results. (The same goes for the reverse; if I am adding black detail icing to a flooded cookie, I let the flooded cookie dry overnight and then add the black detail.) Good luck!

mistypup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistypup Posted 18 Dec 2011 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 5

Jillfcs - - - - thanks for your help! Your cookies are absolutely gorgeous! I love your stick figures!

Jillfcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jillfcs Posted 18 Dec 2011 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 5

You are welcome, Mistypup -- Happy Holidays!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 5

I use a glace icing for all my cookie decorating. I always pipe the darkest/most intense color first, and go from darkest to lightest. If possible, let the darker color set longer by icing a color that doesn't touch it until it has a chance to dry. Wet colors seem to like to leach into the dry colors, so if the dry colors are darker than the wet, you won't notice the bleed. Once all the areas have been iced, I add the black outlines and details with a #1s tip. (Most of the time, I combine all the leftover icing together and add just a touch of black to get the outline color.) If you need to flood a color that touches another color and are worried about bleeding, use a heat gun (I bought mine from the scrapbooking area Of Michael's) to quick set the icing. Also, it helps to mix up the dark colors the day before, as the color will darken while it sits, and you shouldn't have to use quite as much food color. Over-saturation of food color in your icing increases your chances of bleeding.

P.S. - I think Jill's cookies are FABULOUS!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%