Air Bubbles Using Sugarshack's Recipe

Decorating By alvarezmom Updated 22 Dec 2011 , 10:50pm by Spooky_789

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 37

I still cant get this recipe to be smooth. Last night I made a batch of the recipe using my KA 6QT Pro, and had ALLOT of air bubbles.

Anyone know of any tips? I have Sharron's butter cream DVD, and have taken a class with her to get smooth BC, but none of the tricks/tips work.

36 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 37

It took me a long time to get it perfect, but I finally did. This is what I do for my 6 qt mixer. Cream the shortening and the hot liquid (plus extracts) on first speed for a few minutes, then add 1/2 the powdered sugar. Mix for 30 seconds and scrape sides of bowl. Add rest of sugar scraping down the sides a few times. Once it is all mixed turn up the speed one notch and mix for 9 minutes.
Add more liquid if necessary. I found that more liquid helped make the buttercream very smooth and creamy in texture.
Hope this helps.

caleyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caleyb Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 3:49pm
post #3 of 37

You are only beating this on the second speed (so very very slow) for the nine minutes?

msulli10 Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 37

Yes, you are beating it very slowly. It doesn't incorporate a lot of air (hence air bubbles). Add more liquid as necessary to get it a nice spreading consistency.

alvarezmom Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 37

I was beating the shortening first until smooth then adding the liquids (creamer/hot water, and flavoring) until all incorporated. Then adding half of the sugar, then the remaining....all on speed 2.

I found a recipe for the 6 QT in the recipe section. I was only doing 6lbs shortening and 6lbs of sugar. 20 tablespoons of liquid ingredients. The recipe called for 1/2 cup more of the shortening and sugar. This recipe says to mix on speed 6-7.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 5:46pm
post #6 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarezmom

I was beating the shortening first until smooth then adding the liquids (creamer/hot water, and flavoring) until all incorporated. Then adding half of the sugar, then the remaining....all on speed 2.

I found a recipe for the 6 QT in the recipe section. I was only doing 6lbs shortening and 6lbs of sugar. 20 tablespoons of liquid ingredients. The recipe called for 1/2 cup more of the shortening and sugar. This recipe says to mix on speed 6-7.

I've been using sugar shack's recipe for a long time. The things that make it bubble free are 3 fold, the quantity of product in the bowl (this may actually be your problem since you're using less than the 6 qt recipe recommends), the brand/type of shortening and the amount of liquid.

So here are my questions.
1) Does the total amount of buttercream come completely over your beater. It should, it's messy but it's also the main reason you dont' get air bubbles in the buttercream. Some people's bowls are wider and others are taller...so you may actually have to adjust the recipe until your total product is literally above the beater
Just a note you shouldn't be using 6 lbs of shortening ..it should be a little over 6 cups of shortening to 6 lbs of sugaricon_smile.gif I also do mine by weight because it's easier.
If you look at the 6 qt recipe here it's uses the following

*6 ½ cups Hi-Ratio Shortening (2 lbs and 13 ½ oz) (weighing is easier and faster for me)
*6 lbs Powdered Sugar (Dominos or C&H) (not much success with other brands)

2) What brand of shortening are you using? Not all hi-ratios are created equal. I do not have access to Sweetex (Sugarshack's recommended brand) and my buttercream requires about 1/2 the liquid the original recipe uses
3) I don't add all the liquid up front. I add about 3/4 and if it's not smoothing out, then I add a bit more.

If I still have air bubbles at the late stages, I lift up the mixer blade, scrape everything down into the middle of the bowl (really get it all squished into the middle) and lower the beater back down and let it run for several minutes at setting 6 on KA. This removes all my bubbles and I get perfectly smooth buttercream every time.
I hope that helps.

alvarezmom Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 37

sillywabbitz, thanks for the suggestions.

I'm only using 6 cups! Not pounds, sorry about that. The butter cream does come over the paddle.

I have noticed that the butter cream doesnt stick to the sides. As the paddle comes around it will "pull" the butter cream leaving room for air. At times it does look grainy. I'll have to shift the sugar before, I guess.

the bowl I have is narrow at the bottom. This is the one that I have http://www.everythingkitchens.com/kitchen_aid_pro_600.html At times I feel the paddle isnt reaching all the way towards the bottom of the bowl. It could just be all in my mind.

I use high ratio shortening. I'm not sure if it is Sweetex. I get it from the bake shop in my town.

sillywabbitz Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 6:33pm
post #8 of 37

Based on what you say, I'd say try adding a little more liquid. When mine is too dry it behaves like that. I never sift my PS but I do make sure I use name brand pure cane powdered sugar

alvarezmom Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Based on what you say, I'd say try adding a little more liquid. When mine is too dry it behaves like that. I never sift my PS but I do make sure I use name brand pure cane powdered sugar

Thanks! I'll try that tonight.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 2:57am
post #10 of 37

hey gals!

Sillywabbitz has you all covered. I do not have a 6 quart so her advice is better than mine. But I do want to chime in to say that it does seem trickier to get it airless in the 6 quart. i think it is the shape of the bowl. My BFF Wendy has to use a bit more liquid in the ratio than I, and she never goes up to high speed either.

Do not give up; it will be worth when you get it!

HTH! thumbs_up.gif

sillywabbitz Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 5:01am
post #11 of 37

Hey Sharon,
Since you chimed I have a question icon_wink.gif

How do you clean your kitchen aide? It's my only struggle now. I'm serious, any tips for cleaning the spring etc?
Happy Holidays.

sugarshack Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 5:22am
post #12 of 37

I take big bath or kitchen towels and soak them, in super hot water, and wrap up the whole mixer with them. let sit 10 minutes and then evrything just wipes off clean. Then a little windex to get the residue off. I will try to find a picture. it is very easy and fast.

sillywabbitz Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 5:43am
post #13 of 37

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that. I just fight all those little books and crannies.

msulli10 Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 12:40pm
post #14 of 37

Using windex wipes (or similar brand) works well on cleaning the mixer. The bowl and beaters go right in the dishwasher.

sillywabbitz Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 1:31pm
post #15 of 37

I do put my bowl in the dishwashers. I wasn't sure if the beater was dishwasher safe. I'll definitely check out the wipes. Just to be clear, do you rinse the areas like the spring that may come in contact with the food after you windex them ?

msulli10 Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 4:17pm
post #16 of 37

I windex everything (kind of like My Big Fat Greek Wedding). I use it on my counters all the time and all my kitchen surfaces. I just make sure everything is dry before I put any food on it.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 4:49pm
post #17 of 37

Just chiming in here as I have a 6 qt. KA Epicurean and have been making Sharon's BC for quite a while now with perfect results every time. I put the 2 lbs. 13 oz. hi-ratio in the mixer bowl, add the hot liquid and flavoring and beat on low until creamy and combined. Then I add ALL of the PS , by the cupful until the bag is easy to handle aand then I just dump it all in. As soon as there is no more dry PS, I crank it up to 6 and let it go for 7 minutes. Shut off and turn beater to push down and out and then I slowly lift the beater out, press the icing down smooth and cover and let rest for the recommened time. It's perfect every time. I do use Sweetex but was forced to switch to Alpine Icing Shortening so I'm hoping for good results with it! Keep trying - it is so worth it!

jeartist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeartist Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 5:15pm
post #18 of 37

Reading all the posts re High Ratio shortening for this recipe. Do you know if Bake-Rite is high ratio?

alvarezmom Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 2:30pm
post #19 of 37

christeena, how much liquid do you use?

I tried adding more liquid to my icing and it did work but the icing was way to soft. More liquid helped but it was way to soft.

christeena Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 2:52pm
post #20 of 37

I heat 1 cup water in the microwave for a couple minutes until boiling and I add 1 cup of original powder Coffee Mate, whisking until blended and I use 5 TBS, of Wedding Bouquet. That is all the liquid I use. The icing will appear very soft after beating it for the 7 - 9 minutes but you must let it rest in a cool spot for at least 6-8 hours and it firms up as it cools.

alvarezmom Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 3:13pm
post #21 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by christeena

I heat 1 cup water in the microwave for a couple minutes until boiling and I add 1 cup of original powder Coffee Mate, whisking until blended and I use 5 TBS, of Wedding Bouquet. That is all the liquid I use. The icing will appear very soft after beating it for the 7 - 9 minutes but you must let it rest in a cool spot for at least 6-8 hours and it firms up as it cools.

I'm trying it! icon_biggrin.gif

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 3:16pm
post #22 of 37

I don't know if this will help but I use a 6 qt recipe for sugarshacks icing. I actually have a 5 qt mixer! I could not get the airbubbles out using the 5 qt rec! I tried using the 6 qt rec. on here but it was way to soft and didn't perform well on cake (great for cupcakes!) After attempting to change the liquid ratios, I contacted Sharon. With her help and a little more tweaking because of the style of bowl, it finally worked. (Thank you Sharon!) I have a lift stand with a wider bowl. Bad for air! I use 3 lbs sweetex, 6.5 lbs p.sugar, 10 Tablespoons flavoring, and 10 Tablespoons hot creamer, dash of salt. It is MESSY and it takes time but I finally get the creamy texture that I desire. All of my trouble was with my bowl! Again, I could not have figured it out without Sharon's help! HTH!

sillywabbitz Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 3:53pm
post #23 of 37

Since you're adding hot liquid the resting period is important. I consider sugar shacks buttercream softer in general than most recipes even after its tested but that's why I love it. It stays workable for longer and I don't get those hairline cracks I used to get with other BC.

Also you may try a different brand of hi ratio. I tried a different brand and it only took 1/2 the liquid before it got crazy soft. I switched backicon_smile.gif

cookiedoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiedoescakes Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 8:33pm
post #24 of 37

Does anyone know the amount of high ratio, in weight not cups, for SugarShacks original recipe?

sillywabbitz Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 9:17pm
post #25 of 37

I do mine by weight and I cup of my hi ratio was 7.5 ounces, since the origanl recipe said generous cups, I use 8 oz per cup. That said I would measure I cup of your brand and weigh it just to be on the safe side.

alvarezmom Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 9:24pm
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspiredbymom

I don't know if this will help but I use a 6 qt recipe for sugarshacks icing. I actually have a 5 qt mixer! I could not get the airbubbles out using the 5 qt rec! I tried using the 6 qt rec. on here but it was way to soft and didn't perform well on cake (great for cupcakes!) After attempting to change the liquid ratios, I contacted Sharon. With her help and a little more tweaking because of the style of bowl, it finally worked. (Thank you Sharon!) I have a lift stand with a wider bowl. Bad for air! I use 3 lbs sweetex, 6.5 lbs p.sugar, 10 Tablespoons flavoring, and 10 Tablespoons hot creamer, dash of salt. It is MESSY and it takes time but I finally get the creamy texture that I desire. All of my trouble was with my bowl! Again, I could not have figured it out without Sharon's help! HTH!

A couple of questions:

1. Do you mix the shortening and liquids together (at one time)?
2.) Do you put all of the p, sugar in at one time or do you gradually add it in?
3.) What speed do you start out on?

I was always mixing the shortening and liquids at once, until smooth, on speed 2, add half of the p. sugar then the remaining and turning the speed up to 6.

alvarezmom Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 9:25pm
post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by christeena

What speeds are you using to mix?

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 1:11am
post #28 of 37

Alvarezmom: I mix the flavoring and the hot creamer with the sweetex. That is also when I add the pinch of salt. I start on low and then move to 2. It takes some time. Keep checking for smoothness.
I put in the first 1/2 lb in at one time. Then I have to put it in gradually because the bowl is full. I use the "stir" speed when I am doing this. It is messy and likes to kick out the sugar but I try to keep it in the bowl! icon_smile.gif
I start on "stir" then to 2 for the sweetex. Move it back down to "stir" to add sugar. Then kick it to 6 for 7 minutes.
Please keep in mind that not all KA's are created equal! I have a Pro. 5 plus with a lift bowl. The bowl is wider, so I use a 6 qt recipe to make up that difference and to get the icing over that beater! It will try to come over the sides because of this. I stay right next to it with a spatula and coax it back in the bowl. It's quite funny but worth it! My cakes are smooth and the icing is workable and "crusted" but not "crusty". It melts in your mouth.

christeena Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 2:04am
post #29 of 37

Everything starts on STIR until all the PS is in and no longer dry - then it is kicked up to 6 and let go for up to 8 minutes or so. My KA Epicurean has the wider bowl but for some reason I just did not have to adjust at all. I do add 2 tsp. white popcorn salt to further cut the sweetness to the PS right before I dump it all in. It's 2 lbs. 13 oz. hi ratio to 6 lbs. powdered sugar. I cannot imagine using 10 TBS. flavoring as I think the 5 TBS. I use is a tad on the strong side but I've never had any complaints.

sugarshack Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 2:57am
post #30 of 37

hot wrap and then all the crusty stuff wipes right off so easily.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%