Dean & Deluca Candy Cane Cake - Wrapped In Chocolate Or

Decorating By dukeswalker Updated 17 Dec 2011 , 1:41am by bobwonderbuns

dukeswalker Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 12

So.... I'm in love with this cake:
http://www.polyvore.com/candy_cane_cake_dean_deluca/thing?id=4265640

What the heck is it wrapped in? Chocolate? Fondant? And depending upon what it is wrapped in - how do I get those stripes so nice & even?

Thanks ladies!

11 replies
gb89 Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 12

I think it's modeling chocolate/candy clay, made with candy melts. Sorry, no clue how to do it. I can guess made varying width stripes in both colors and then roll out together so they mesh? HTH.

bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 12

Baking Arts has a video on how to do cakes like that using chocolate. http://www.bakingarts.net/modeling-chocolate-dvds.html

kickasskakes Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 12

its white chocolate plastique...recipe...1 lb white chocolate and 1/2 cup corn syrup
melt chocolate and stir in corn syrup until comes together wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.
color with oil base colors also can be flavored i.e. peppermint oil (must be oil based)
if you want to mix the plasitque(modeling chocolate) with fondant . equal parts

for the strips roll out the white cover with plastic and then roll out red cut the stripe. remove plastic from white and place the red on top. then roll in the direction of the stripes to blend the two colors.
as for how did they get it sooooo straight...they use a sheeter it will give even pressure, hand rolling doesn't...unless you are a machine and can give even pressure.

modeling chocolate recipes

dark chocolate
1 lb chocolate
2/3 cup corn syrup

white and milk chocolate
1 lb chocolate
1/2 cup corn syrup

i have also used various flavored chips to make it...peanut butter or butterscotch chips

AZCouture Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 12

No, you don't need a sheeter at all, that video linked to above explains it all. It's a mind numbing process, but the results are beautiful.

bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 5:00pm
post #6 of 12

Nope, no sheeter necessary!!! Richard is an excellent teacher too -- very nice voice! icon_lol.gif

AZCouture Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 12

And not bad to look at either. icon_biggrin.gif And you can't say every little step is not included...every...little...step...over and over...oh I started fast forwarding once I realized what was going on.

janeoxo Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 5:51pm
post #8 of 12

@kickass, can you colour your modeling choc recipe?

kickasskakes Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 6:13pm
post #9 of 12

yes you can color modeling chocolate use an oil based color

and it is possible to roll by hand, and not a sheeter...as in the video he uses a pasta machine
the idea is to just have even pressure while rolling.

dukeswalker Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 10:01pm
post #10 of 12

I was hoping to try and make this cake this weekend so there is no chance of me getting the video by then. Can you give me the cliff notes version? icon_smile.gif

FromScratchSF Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 10:42pm
post #11 of 12

To clarify, he uses candy melts, not real chocolate. Has anyone done this with real chocolate?

bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 1:41am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeswalker

I was hoping to try and make this cake this weekend so there is no chance of me getting the video by then. Can you give me the cliff notes version? icon_smile.gif

There's really no way to condense it, you need to see the video to have it fully explained. It's a complicated technique to teach but not that hard to actually do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%