Anyone Ever Use This Scratch Rv Recipe??

Baking By lrlt2000 Updated 4 Jan 2012 , 12:57am by mclaren

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 17

I searched and searched and tried and tried and this is the best scratch RV recipe I have found.

http://www.jasonandshawnda.com/foodiebride/archives/547

BUT what I want to know, is if anyone knows of a white and chocolate scratch that mimics the texture and moisture of this cake!!! It's so perfect!

16 replies
argylealice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
argylealice Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 17

Hi i can give you a recipe for a scratch chocolate cake that always works great for me.it is very moist and keeps well.sorry but the weights are in english pounds and ounzes
1 pound self raising flour
1 pound butter
1 pound sugar
8 eggs
2 ounces coco powder
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons milk

cream the butter and sugar add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.if you want to add more coco for a more chocolaty cake you can.i dont always measure the coco,syrup and milk just add to taste.
these quantities make two ten inch rounds.

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 17

I adore Red Velvet cake! However, my mother does not share my passion for it! She likes the cake, but doesn't like the food color. I have even tried the No Taste type food color. She claims she can taste it!!

I am looking for a Red Velvet cake recipe that maybe doesn't have as much red food coloring in it??

Thanks!!
Rhonda

mburkett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mburkett Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 17

I always cut the food coloring down to less than half of what they ask in the recipe. Mine asks for 2tbsp and I think that's just way too much. I still get a nice deep red color (not bright red) with about 2- 2 1/2 tsp. Works for me. HTH!!!

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 17

Thanks " mburkett" I will give that a try. I am going to try the recipe that "lrlt2000" posted. I have never made a Red Velvet that calls for sour cream. I bet it will be great!! Hope so anyway!!!

lrlt2000 Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 17

Rhonda,

I do not like using red dye either, and actually use 1/2 of what they call for and add beet powder icon_smile.gif

It calls for 1oz red dye, which I cut in half and add water to add up to the 1oz--I then take about 1 tablespoon of dry ingredients out and add 1 tablespoon beet powder.

Awhile back, I tried to do an all naturally colored red velvet (if you search you will find many people who have experimented with this). I did not find a recipe that didn't taste like beets icon_smile.gif so I settled on 50%.

josefina20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josefina20 Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 1:06am
post #7 of 17

Rhonda19

There is a recipe for red velvet cake that use beet to give the red color. Hope this help

lrlt2000 Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 1:35am
post #8 of 17

Yes, there are many recipes out there that use beet powder instead of dye, but it's hard to find one that doesn't either make the cake taste like beets or doesn't turn out red (it's chemically difficult to get the beet to stay red upon baking). If you read up on the trials and errors, you'll learn about the chemical part.

I'll try to find the website I used last year where the girl did a pretty detailed trial and taste test of several recipes!

lrlt2000 Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 1:37am
post #9 of 17

BTW, some recipes call for canned beets and others beet powder.

lrlt2000 Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 3:15am
post #10 of 17
mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 5:03pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrlt2000

Yes, there are many recipes out there that use beet powder instead of dye, but it's hard to find one that doesn't either make the cake taste like beets or doesn't turn out red (it's chemically difficult to get the beet to stay red upon baking). If you read up on the trials and errors, you'll learn about the chemical part.

I'll try to find the website I used last year where the girl did a pretty detailed trial and taste test of several recipes!

was it from http://thebakemore.blogspot.com? She's also a CC member if I'm not mistaken.
She tested 8 RV cakes, and had a 2nd taste-off between the winner of the 1st taste-off and 2 other RV recipes (RLB's and tweaked Waldorf's recipes), and again CMR's won again.
Watch out for a little drama in the comments section icon_biggrin.gif

jeartist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeartist Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 5:31pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrlt2000

I searched and searched and tried and tried and this is the best scratch RV recipe I have found.

http://www.jasonandshawnda.com/foodiebride/archives/547

BUT what I want to know, is if anyone knows of a white and chocolate scratch that mimics the texture and moisture of this cake!!! It's so perfect!

That's the first recipe I've seen for RV with sour cream. What size cakes does this recipe make or do you just use as cupcakes?
Thanks for sharing that link.

lrlt2000 Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 7:10pm
post #13 of 17

Ohh, it is just amazing!!!I actually made it in both cupcake and cake form! Here's what it made:

Single batch:

(3) 1.5" tall 6" rounds and (3) 1.5" tall 6" squares

OR

(1) full 3" tall 12" round (using center cone)

Double batch:

(24) fairly flat-topped cupcakes AND
(3) 2" tall 6" rounds AND
(3) 2" tall 6" squares

jeartist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeartist Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 7:35pm
post #14 of 17

Thanks for the info. Planning on making it for Christmas Day.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 12:05pm
post #15 of 17

I think that's the Pastry Queen's recipe. I remember hers having sour cream. It was originally designed for cupcakes but I don't see why you couldn't try it in a cake form. I remember reading someone's blog about RV cupcakes...she liked the Martha Stewart RV cupcake recipe but said the oil leaked through the cupcake wrappers. Pastry Queen's didn't leak through and got better as they "aged" over a few days. Dang I wish I knew where that blog was...

Nyasalicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyasalicious Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 6:28pm
post #16 of 17

I am not a fan of White cake. But FromscratchSF's recipe is really good.
http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/07/26/white-cake-part-3-with-recipe/

For Chocolate i use Americas test kitchen recipe. It comes out good everytime. But i sure want to try this Red velvet cake.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 12:57am
post #17 of 17

I made this recipe more than a week ago, and everyone raved about it. Including my mom who was never a fan of cakes!
She specifically told me to make this cake again the next time I go to her house end of this month.

The only other RV cake I've made all these while prior to this recipe was CMR's, and I can say this recipe has better flavor (prolly due to having the sour cream in it), but it's more dense compared to CMR's, where CMR's recipe has bigger crumbs than this.
This one, from my POV has the velvety look when you cut into it. I totally regret not taking any pictures after it being cut, wanted to, but kept forgetting.

I however, did not follow *exactly* as the recipe goes..

I did some reading on the Net on other ppl's experiences baking this cake after reading the OP's (god bless you for sharing it here, otherwise I would have never tried it icon_smile.gif ) thread, and found out I could sub some flour for the cocoa, if I wanted a less chocolatey flavor, and bringing out the buttermilk flavor. So I only used 1 TBSP of dark cocoa powder for this recipe.

I urge those who has never tried this recipe to give it a shot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%