First Wedding Cake *gulp* Need Advice On Icing.....

Decorating By MammaSnirp Updated 16 Dec 2011 , 12:14pm by Ashleyssweetdesigns

MammaSnirp Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 8:45am
post #1 of 3

Hi all, I am icing my first Wedding cake for my cousin in January and its kind of a collaborative with me and my Nana. Shes had a special cake stand made (which I get to keep afterwards, yay) and is making 3 carrots cakes as per cousins request for cake flavour. She has also asked for Cream Cheese Icing and no fondant (which is my strength) but fondant gerberas (sp?) as the decoration on each tier (the 3 teirs are seperate) So, how do I go about getting the cream cheese right (do I crumb coat before icing again to get a good finish?) and how do I get crusting to prevent the colour bleeding or ruining the decorations? Thanks for your help in advance and Merry Christmas to you all icon_smile.gif

2 replies
AnnieCahill Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 12:11pm
post #2 of 3

I have used this recipe in the past and it is very good, if you need something that crusts:

Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 3

There are tons of cream cheese buttercream recipes on the internet. You can add meringue powder to help the buttercream crust over. You need to do a crumb coat first on any cake you ice that your not applying fondant to. let it harden up in the fridge then apply your final coat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%