Mmf And Cricut Cake Aint Workin!!! Help!!!

Decorating By wissa Updated 25 Jan 2013 , 10:19am by JackydeKlerk

wissa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wissa Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 2:33am
post #1 of 19

icon_cry.gif I just cant seem to get my new toy to work right. I have been making my mmf for a few months now and im new at making cakes, so i thought it would be fun to get a cricut cake and now i just cant seem to get the cricut to cut the fondant. Please if any one has advice on how to get it to work HELP ME!!!

18 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 3:29am
post #2 of 19

MMF is too soft to cut with an electronic cutter. Gumpaste works the best, rolled very, very thin (with a pasta roller). Adding tylose to fondant works sometimes if you let it dry a little before cutting but it also has to be rolled very, very thin.

wissa Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 3:18am
post #3 of 19

icon_confused.gif my hubby said he read that tylose powder is not for eatingnor is gum paste . Is there any thing you can eat that i can stiffen my fondant with? I just want to be able to eat my creations.... hope i didnt waste $ icon_cry.gif

hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 5:44am
post #4 of 19

I find wilton fondant works ok and also wilton sugar sheets. Neither of which I think taste fantastic, but work ok. It has to be rolled so so thin to work. I never have luck with MMF. I am quite disappointed in it as it doesn't seem to give me consistant results so I rarely get it out.

KimmyD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyD Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 12:39pm
post #5 of 19

I just got my Cricut Cake a month or so ago and my daughter used it for the first time last week. We used MMF, pretty stiff, rolled VERY thin on the cutting mat. Worked like a charm.

tiggy2 Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 1:08pm
post #6 of 19

If you want something foolproof use the premium frosting sheets from icingimages. Perfect cuts every time!

Savanna500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Savanna500 Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 19

I, too, just purchased a Cricut Cake. I have not used it much yet but what little I have used it has been a success.

If you roll the fondant very, very thin and ensure that your mat is well greased it cuts perfectly. The fondant needs to be a little bit drier than it would normally be than if you were manually working with it.

Be patient and keep trying as it can be done.

Good Luck

Savanna

tiggy2 Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 1:30pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wissa

icon_confused.gif my hubby said he read that tylose powder is not for eatingnor is gum paste . Is there any thing you can eat that i can stiffen my fondant with? I just want to be able to eat my creations.... hope i didnt waste $ icon_cry.gif

Where did he read that? Everything I read says it's edible.

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 2:16pm
post #9 of 19

My cricut cake has been one of my most worthless and expensive cake tools until this past weekend. Since purchasing it, I have tried gumpaste rolled thinly, fondant in the freezer, fondant with tylose, 50/50 paste etc and the results have all just plain stunk. I have been really disappointed with it. UNTIL I had an epiphany brought on by hand cramps on Saturday. I was cutting out little trees with an exacto knife and thought to myself, geez, using this 50/50 fondant and modelling chocolate mix is working well with the exacto... I wonder how it would do in the cricut??? And it worked! I rolled it out to a number 4 on my pasta machine, stuck it to the mat with a thin film of shortening and it cut. And cut. And cut. All of the rest of the little trees for my cake. And I didn't have to freeze it. I didn't have to let it dry. I stuck it to the mat, loaded up the mat, and it worked! I think if you have not tried this fondant & modelling chocolate mix with your cricut yet, you should! It really worked for me with no hassles.

Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 5:35pm
post #10 of 19

I use MMF with my cricut cake. I roll it very thin, then let it dry out for several hours or over night. The mod monkey cakes in my gallery was all done with my mmf and cricut cake.

wissa Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 3:09am
post #11 of 19

Tiggy- I have no clue where he read that but i saw it some where before maybee that it tases awfull. i dont know. But thank you ALL for all the wanderful sugestions i will defenately be trying some more and ill keep you posted on what MY results are!!! Merry Christmas!!!!

wissa Posted 21 Dec 2011 , 10:17pm
post #12 of 19

ok so i tried these things called sugar sheets they worked like a charm!!! ill be trying some other ways too but this is good for now , the sheets are made by wilson and i found it at michaels. keep you posted!! good luck to all you trying to get your mmf to work in your cricut! icon_rolleyes.gif

MrsPound Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsPound Posted 21 Dec 2011 , 11:59pm
post #13 of 19

I use the Wilton Icing sheets. A VERY generous amount of crisco on the mat and then on top of the sheet. Use a spatula while it is cutting to ensure than everything stays put.

You do not want to leave your machine while it is cutting.

Also cut on the hardest setting and the lowest speed.

Hope that helps someone out there!

GenaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenaM Posted 27 Dec 2011 , 4:49pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wissa

Tiggy- I have no clue where he read that but i saw it some where before maybee that it tases awfull. i dont know. But thank you ALL for all the wanderful sugestions i will defenately be trying some more and ill keep you posted on what MY results are!!! Merry Christmas!!!!

I was also told that gum paste was not edible by two different Wilton instructors. Now I have this Cricut machine and wonder about using gp on cakes. Even if it is edible (which I guess it is from reading here), won't it dry hard? Or will the frosting or fondant keep it soft? Thanks in advance!

tiggy2 Posted 27 Dec 2011 , 5:09pm
post #15 of 19

Gumpaste is edible however it doesn't taste very good. Flowers, figurines, etc. would dry very hard and I wouldn't recommend eating but gumpaste rolled thin enough to cut with the cricut and applied to the cake would remain soft due to the moisture in the frosting. It can always be removed before serving.

kita04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kita04 Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 5:26pm
post #16 of 19

I was fortunate enought to receive the Martha Stewart Cake Cricuit as a Christmas gift. I thought I would watch some you tube videos, read some blogs and then use it. I started with my MMF and I would work in Tylose powder. The one video said to freeze it on the mat, wrap it in saran wrap and then a ziploc bag and store it in the freezer. I did that - EPIC FAIL. It was probably in the freezer for 2 days just because I hadn't had a chance to work with it. I think I kept it out for too long and it became to soft ? I added more tylose powder, rolled it super thin and let it air dry. It felt like a piece of leather- that was an epic fail. I tried the Wilton Gum Paste already made in the package and tastes horrible- my first try was a fail, but my second try worked. I thumbed through a magazine for a few minutes and then tried it. It left jagged edges, so I changed my cut speed to a 4, my pressure to a 2 and smeared some crisco on top too of the gumpaste too. I don't know if it helped to do that, but I was able to get a clean cut. SUCCESS ! Would love a real recipe that works- or maybe a different brand ?

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 6:20pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilismaius

My cake has been one of my most worthless and expensive cake tools until this past weekend. Since purchasing it, I have tried gumpaste rolled thinly, fondant in the freezer, fondant with tylose, 50/50 paste etc and the results have all just plain stunk. I have been really disappointed with it. UNTIL I had an epiphany brought on by hand cramps on Saturday. I was cutting out little trees with an exacto knife and thought to myself, geez, using this 50/50 fondant and modelling chocolate mix is working well with the exacto... I wonder how it would do in the ??? And it worked! I rolled it out to a number 4 on my pasta machine, stuck it to the mat with a thin film of shortening and it cut. And cut. And cut. All of the rest of the little trees for my cake. And I didn't have to freeze it. I didn't have to let it dry. I stuck it to the mat, loaded up the mat, and it worked! I think if you have not tried this fondant & modelling chocolate mix with your yet, you should! It really worked for me with no hassles.

I just got my Cricut Cake. I haven't done a cake yet with it but got it out to play. I was having issues gettting a clean cut. I have never used modeling chocolate before but googled how to make it and WOW how easy could that get? I think I am going to give it a try with my cricut. Can your knead colour into it just like fondant? Thanks for the tip

tiggy2 Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 6:25pm
post #18 of 19

Check out Linda McClure's youtube videos. She also has recipes on her website.

JackydeKlerk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackydeKlerk Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 7:26pm
post #19 of 19

I use CMC powder (edible) with the fondant. It works perfect. You just need to make sure you plan your designs and use all the fondant up as the powder makes the fondant very hard.

PS: Also make sure you roll it out thinly.

Jacky

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%