Pearl/ Bead Mold.

Decorating By IHeartCaking Updated 23 Dec 2011 , 1:55am by tigerhawk83

IHeartCaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHeartCaking Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 12

Hey all!
So I guess Im still a relatively new cake decorator because I did not know about these molds.. Can anyone recommend a good inexpensive one (I know it's a tall order!) I've been making the borders by hand and this seems easier and more consistent looking..

11 replies
Kimmaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmaf Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 12

The silicone molds are a little pricey but I have one of the pearl ones and a rope one and I Love, love, love them! I don't regret spending the money on them at all. Just check around some places can be a little less expensive than others, honestly globalsugarart usually has good prices on supplies.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 12

Just be aware that there are at least two major styles of beadmakers on the market. The CK molds here http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=16597&name=Pearl%20Bead%208MM%20Mold%20%20by%20CK make a full, rounded pearl. They are tricky to use but once you get the hang of it they're indispensible. Then there are the First Impressions molds here: http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=21438&name=Perfect%20Pearls%206,%208,%2010%20mm%20by%20First%20Impressions which give a half pearl. Personally I like the First Impressions molds better -- they go faster for me. If you check my pix, nearly all the pearl borders on my cakes are done with the first impressions molds. The prices are comparable too.

SophieBifieldCakeCompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophieBifieldCakeCompany Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 12

A less expensive and much more unique way to get molds is to make your own. You can buy food grade silicone that is really, really easy and quick to use. It picks up the tiniest details too. A small kit costs similar to buying one mold, but you get lots of molds out of one kit, so it works out a lot cheaper.

Most of the big cake suppliers will sell a version of it, but this site gives a photo tutorial:

http://www.makeyourownmolds.com/silicone-plastique

Just beware, it can become addictive - I started using it a few months ago and have literally hundreds of molds now - It's amazing what you can turn into a mold.

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 12

I use the First Impressions silicone mold that makes the 1/2 pearls. It works great!
I used it on the 50 and Fabulous cake on my blog and have a picture of the one I use on there, I believe it's the came one that bobwonderbuns posted the link to .
It has made my borders MUCH easier! Worth every penny...

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieBifieldCakeCompany

A less expensive and much more unique way to get molds is to make your own. You can buy food grade silicone that is really, really easy and quick to use. It picks up the tiniest details too. A small kit costs similar to buying one mold, but you get lots of molds out of one kit, so it works out a lot cheaper.

Most of the big cake suppliers will sell a version of it, but this site gives a photo tutorial:

http://www.makeyourownmolds.com/silicone-plastique

I'm ordering some today...this stuff looks great! Thanks for sharing!

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartCaking

Hey all!
So I guess Im still a relatively new cake decorator because I did not know about these molds.. Can anyone recommend a good inexpensive one (I know it's a tall order!) I've been making the borders by hand and this seems easier and more consistent looking..

I bought the Wilton mold, its inexpensive and does the job.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=B76337E9-1E0B-C910-EA17D9BC89247FA1&fid=B7633809-1E0B-C910-EABF480F93CBCACA

HTH

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 10:37pm
post #8 of 12

etsy!! I just got one for 10 dollars icon_smile.gif

IHeartCaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHeartCaking Posted 18 Dec 2011 , 1:56am
post #9 of 12

Thanks all of you! The 26$ still seems like a lot right now.. LovelyLadyLibra, can you link me to the etsy one you bought?

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 12:48am
post #10 of 12

the etsy store is called molds r us im not sure if the maker has more online but im sure you can always message them and theyll make a new 1

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 10:41am
post #11 of 12

if you're on a budget, i second the vote for the wilton mold. they're $9.99, but with a 40% off coupon from michaels or hobby lobby, it's a nice treat.

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 23 Dec 2011 , 1:55am
post #12 of 12

I just made one - I used Amazing Mold Putty that I bought at Hobby Lobby [used a 40% off coupon]. It was really easy and this had no liquid ingredients. Strung some 10mm plastic beads on a wire then just wrapped the putty around it - seemed to work fine. Will test out my handiwork tomorrow on a cake for my sister's birthday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%