Betty Crocker Smaller Cake Mixes And Wasc

Baking By msulli10 Updated 15 Dec 2011 , 3:37pm by DianeLM

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 4

I bought some Betty Crocker cake mixes and noticed that they are now smaller - 16.25 oz as compared to the previous 18.25oz. Does any one know if this will change the consistency of my cake if I follow the WASC recipe??? How would I adjust it???

3 replies
nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 4

Have made several WASC versions with the smaller mixes and no changes were needed, just keep everything the same.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks. I guess everything is being downsized these days. Same amount of money to buy, but less product!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 4

I won't buy BC because I don't agree with this change. While it's true that many products are downsizing while still charging the same price, Betty Crocker messed with what I consider to be an institution.

Cake mixes sizes have been consistent for more than 60 years. BC made this change with no notice or alert. I can only imagine how many innocent bakers have been caught off guard. I thought BC was the home baker's ally. Apparently, they're willing to bite the hand that feeds them.

I was already plenty cynical before this change. I hardly trust anybody any more. This is definitely a lesson in diligence. We now have to be on the lookout for changes to all our most beloved products.

But, to answer your question, I'd just buy multiple boxes, mix them together, and measure out 18.25 ounces at a time. Hey, I have to be prepared just in case Duncan Hines follow suit! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%