Help Christmas/birthday Cake

Baking By ailika Updated 21 Dec 2011 , 1:01am by Annabakescakes

ailika Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 4:14am
post #1 of 5

I have to make a birthday cake for Christmas day & dinner. How many days in advance can I make the cakes & do I keep them in fridge or freezer? I have a small kitchen & one oven so I wanted to make the cakes a few days before since I also have to make Christmas dinner. Just don't want them to taste old if I make them before the day of the party.

4 replies
Annabakescakes Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 5:04am
post #2 of 5

I never refrigerate cakes, it doesn't seem to keep them fresh to me. You can make and freeze today and it will still be fresh on Christmas. Just wrap well... Actually, I have a dedicated freezer for only cakes and i have forgotten to wrap a cake and it was just as good. I wouldn't recommend not wrapping it if you have fish sticks or anything thing else in your freezer, as cakes tend to absorb smells.

shuswapcakes Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 5

I've made cakes two-three days before the event and put them in the freezer and they've all been great! I agree with not putting it in the fridge, for some reason I find this dries out cakes much faster. You won't want to have to do much with this cake on Christmas day, especially if you're making the whole dinner as well! I would pull it out of the freezer the morning of and then let it reach room temperature.

ailika Posted 21 Dec 2011 , 12:58am
post #4 of 5

So do I defrost them the same day of the event & decorate?

Annabakescakes Posted 21 Dec 2011 , 1:01am
post #5 of 5

No, you bake, fill, decorate, freeze. Then the day of of night before, take it out and then 6 - 12 hours later, depending on size, serve.

Quote by @%username% on %date%