Help Christmas/birthday Cake

Baking By ailika Updated 21 Dec 2011 , 1:01am by Annabakescakes

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 4:14am
post #1 of 5

I have to make a birthday cake for Christmas day & dinner. How many days in advance can I make the cakes & do I keep them in fridge or freezer? I have a small kitchen & one oven so I wanted to make the cakes a few days before since I also have to make Christmas dinner. Just don't want them to taste old if I make them before the day of the party.

4 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 5:04am
post #2 of 5

I never refrigerate cakes, it doesn't seem to keep them fresh to me. You can make and freeze today and it will still be fresh on Christmas. Just wrap well... Actually, I have a dedicated freezer for only cakes and i have forgotten to wrap a cake and it was just as good. I wouldn't recommend not wrapping it if you have fish sticks or anything thing else in your freezer, as cakes tend to absorb smells.

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 5

I've made cakes two-three days before the event and put them in the freezer and they've all been great! I agree with not putting it in the fridge, for some reason I find this dries out cakes much faster. You won't want to have to do much with this cake on Christmas day, especially if you're making the whole dinner as well! I would pull it out of the freezer the morning of and then let it reach room temperature.

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 21 Dec 2011 , 12:58am
post #4 of 5

So do I defrost them the same day of the event & decorate?

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 21 Dec 2011 , 1:01am
post #5 of 5

No, you bake, fill, decorate, freeze. Then the day of of night before, take it out and then 6 - 12 hours later, depending on size, serve.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%