Never Worked W/ Marshmallow Fluff - Please Help

Decorating By sweetmonkeycheese Updated 15 Dec 2011 , 3:50pm by esangston

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 10:10pm
post #1 of 7

I want/ need some butter cream and I want a filling that is a lil marshmallow-ly, so I hope that I can make a crusting butter cream and then for the filling just mix in some of the fluff. Is there anything about Marshmallow fluff from a jar that I need to know about, it wont do something funky b/c of being mixed w/ butter cream (like it wont lose it's fluff powers and become runny or something)

Can/should I do a 50/50 mix or will one really over power the other and if so what ratio do ya think?

Thanks

6 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 11:22pm
post #2 of 7

I have mixed marshmallow fluff into buttercream and it didn't have any ill effects but I am not sure I got what I really wanted out of it either. For mine, I felt the buttercream over powered the fluff. But I also love fluff. I would try adding small amounts of buttercream to the fluff until you get it to the consistency you like. I would not expect it to crust.

I think IndyDebi's Buttercream has a marshmallow flavor to it naturally because of the dream whip. You may want to try her recipe and see if that gets you close enough. That would get you a great tasting easy to work with crusting buttercream.

I have also made homemade marshmallows and piped it on and then toast under the oven or with a torch. Or melt a marshmallow right on top of cupcakes.

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks, I'll go slow w/ adding the BC to the fluff, I am not even really sure what I am going for, but I think I'll know it if I get there. If not it's just for daycare so the kids wont mind!

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 12:47am
post #4 of 7
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 4:46am
post #5 of 7

Thanks Dsmo,
I will definately check that out. Looks like better sugar to fluff ratio than my past experimenticon_smile.gif

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 5:11am
post #6 of 7

I have used pure fluff before and it totally lost its fluffing powers and ran out the side of the cake. And yes, I dammed it! It was like spit oozing out from under the fondant and the cake collapsed on that side. I don't know how it stayed in the other side or what it looked like cut, but it was so scary and I didn't have time to do anything else. Thank you for letting me share icon_cry.gif

esangston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esangston Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 3:50pm
post #7 of 7

I used mm fluff when I made my oatmeal cream pie cupcakes. I used the basic recipe that they use for the middles of the actually oatmeal cream pies... It tasted awesome. It was a lil thin but I piped it into the cupcakes with a bismark tip, I believe that's what it's called. This is the recipe I used...

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/521/Little_Debbie_Oatmeal_Creme_Pies44276.shtml

I'm never really able to get a good flavor out of mixing fluff with bc... Especially if you want to decorate with it... That's a constant issue with my Mayan hot cocoa cupcakes....

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%