Will Whipped Filling Work Under Fondant?

Decorating By mmcerna909 Updated 14 Dec 2011 , 10:57pm by BlakesCakes

mmcerna909 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmcerna909 Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 3

I have a cake order this weekend for a chocolate cake with whipped cream filling and covered in fondant.. I was wondering if pastry pride or frostin pride would hold up as filling under fondant?? And also does any one have any advice as how to stack a cake without it falling apart?

2 replies
melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 3

I have used Rich's bettercreme as a filling in cakes crumb coated with buttercream and covered with fondant. The only disadvantage was I had to make the cake fairly last minute as I didnt' want the filling ( even though its' non-dairy ) sitting out too long, and I do not put fondant in the refrigerator so I was worried the filling would get warm ,runny and cause problems.
I have done it successfully, but I try to discourage any clients from that combination.
As for stacking the cake, use cake boards, plenty of dowels and you should be ok. I show how to stack and support on my blog.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 3

NO, you can't ice a cake with whipped cream or Pastry Pride/Frostin Pride/Bettercreme and cover it with fondant. Too much air and liquid in it and it will melt the fondant from the underside. It will deflate & ooze out from under the fondant.

As for a filling, those products are great. I use Bettercreme to make mock mousse and love it because it's shelf stable for 5 days at temps below 80F. I use it as filling in fondant covered cakes all of the time and have wonderful results.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%