Want To Approach A Couple Businesses About Selling My Items.

Business By bkzscurry Updated 15 Dec 2011 , 3:38am by Annabakescakes

bkzscurry Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 3

Just wondering if any of you have any suggestions on how to go about approaching businesses to carry your items. I'm a newly licensed bakery (september) and have everything ready to go to be able to do wholesale. Although I'm just a bit unsure of how to go about approaching the businesses. Anyone done this and have some advice? icon_smile.gif I mainly am going to be offerring the cakepops at this point I think.

2 replies
jason_kraft Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 3:27am
post #2 of 3

Depends on which type of wholesale customer you are looking for. For an individual restaurant or coffee shop you will probably want to talk directly to the manager, while larger chains of grocery stores may have centralized buyers for baked goods, individual buyers at each store, or both.

You should also have a good idea what the best retail price will be for your product and how low you can go on wholesale pricing while still making a profit. Retail markups vary but are usually in the 40-50% range. You'll also want to take into account things like packaging, shelf life, logistics for deliveries and payments, refund policies, and the existing product assortment at the targeted retail outlet.

BTW your prices seem to be extremely low...wholesale prices are usually discounted off retail so I would recommend increasing your retail prices significantly (doubling them would put you in the right ballpark) before you approach any wholesale customers.

Annabakescakes Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 3:38am
post #3 of 3

Prices do seem a bit low, it I wouldn't recommend doubling them! I would think 50% more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%