Please Advice - Quick And Easy Samples

Decorating By designdiva22 Updated 14 Dec 2011 , 10:24pm by designdiva22

designdiva22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
designdiva22 Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 11

I just got a call from the local bank where I opened my business account. The lady said since I'm new in business, I could set up a display and promote my business by giving out flyers and having a display.

I said I could get samples too because I had read on CC forums that the best way to promote is to have people taste your stuff.

I really want to do it this Friday, 16th to get in some orders for Christmas/New Year. If I do it on 23rd, it will be too late and not many would visit a bank before Christmas Eve Saturday.

So my question is, what samples can I make that are cost-effective and quick? I really want to promote cake pops/cake bites since they are still new in the area and most people love them. How would a platter of cake bites look for samples?

I will be there from 11 to 2 so I was thinking of making about 75? How does that sound?

And, what should I keep in my display? I was thinking a cupcake bouquet, cake pop bouquet and what else??

Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!

10 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 11

Designdive22, you ask some pretty hard questions for us to answer. Location of the bank and what kind of foot traffic they get is a pretty big factor. Nobody can tell you what is "cost-effective and quick", we don't have your menu, buy your ingredients, have your overhead or your recipes! Those are all things you'll have to figure out on your own.

IMHO, you don't book future orders by giving out samples, especially not someplace like a bank. People don't order cakes at banks. They are not in that mindset. HOWEVER, samples DO appeal to impulse buyers, who will taste and buy right then and there. So I think you'd be better off just having a pop-up shop. Meaning, have product for sale that people can taste and take home right then and there at the bank. Small stuff like pops and bites would be perfect. But again, how much you should have is a total mystery.

MrsNisch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNisch Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 11

I have used my bank as my tasters for new recipes and I have gotten orders from them and referrals. I think any time you can get your product out there it is a good thing. You just have to view it as marketing dollars. I would do smaller versions of the cake balls and double the quantity. Take lots of business cards!!!

Good luck!

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 11

Make sure you have signage (small, of course) listing your products and flavors. As a former banker, I can tell you that bankers love to eat, especially if it's something new. You'll probably get all kinds of business just from the employees.

designdiva22 Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Designdive22, you ask some pretty hard questions for us to answer. Location of the bank and what kind of foot traffic they get is a pretty big factor. Nobody can tell you what is "cost-effective and quick", we don't have your menu, buy your ingredients, have your overhead or your recipes! Those are all things you'll have to figure out on your own.

IMHO, you don't book future orders by giving out samples, especially not someplace like a bank. People don't order cakes at banks. They are not in that mindset. HOWEVER, samples DO appeal to impulse buyers, who will taste and buy right then and there. So I think you'd be better off just having a pop-up shop. Meaning, have product for sale that people can taste and take home right then and there at the bank. Small stuff like pops and bites would be perfect. But again, how much you should have is a total mystery.

I did not mean people ordering right at the bank! They could take my flyers to order later - I thought this was good just to have my name out there icon_smile.gif

I don't think the bank would let me sell right from the display but thanks for the advice!! thumbs_up.gif

designdiva22 Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 11

I'll do smaller versions of my cake bites since I don't want to spend too much time on the samples - have back to back orders for a school holiday party.

I'll have flyers and business cards.

How about the display?? What do you guys suggest having on the table?

jgifford Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 8:48pm
post #7 of 11

I agree with MrsNisch - - smaller versions of the cake pops and cake bites, but at least 150 of them. Consider that the employees will all find time to stop by and Friday is one of the busiest banking days as far as customers coming in.

The bouquets sound good and maybe photos of some of your work and LOTS of business cards.

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 9:13pm
post #8 of 11

Mini cupcakes, or if you offer a bit of dessert cakes, then you could always do a dessert cake and slice it up into tasting portions.

I think it is a great idea to have some things for sale...maybe not a lot but some smaller items like cupcakes or 6" cakes that would be affordable that someone would be willing to buy on impulse!

Hope that helps!

jgifford Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 9:19pm
post #9 of 11

As far as selling items - - this may not be allowed, depending on the bank's policy. Allowing you to promote your business and distribute flyers and samples since you're new is one thing - - allowing you to sell your products in the bank may not sit too well with older business customers. Be sure to check with your account rep before you plan on that, and you should also find out how much space they'll allow you to use. That would pretty much dictate the size of your display.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 9:52pm
post #10 of 11

..........IMHO you don't book future orders by giving out samples, especially not someplace like a bank. People don't order cakes at banks. They are not in that mindset............

I so disagree w/this opinion. I have had good luck giving out samples and even bank employees order cakes!
.........you ask some pretty hard questions for us to answer. Location of the bank and what kind of foot traffic they get is a pretty big factor. Nobody can tell you what is "cost-effective and quick", we don't have your menu, buy your ingredients, have your overhead or your recipes! Those are all things you'll have to figure out on your own..........
This is right on. OP is just going to have to figure out for herself what to serve.
One thing that has not been adresses: Are you licened? Can you legally give out food to the public? In most places samples *must* be in a lidded container so presentation is minimul..... signs are important. Neat, interesting looking signs - can be small - but neat for sure.

designdiva22 Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 10:24pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks for the inputs! Yes, I'm licensed with a tax id and insurance and all.

The bank said I could do a display - I don't think they'll let me sell in the bank.

I'm not going to be present there at the table so taking orders at the bank is not possible. People will hopefully contact me to place orders.

I might print some pictures and put it on a board that people can look at while passing the table - don't want to do an album since not many would want to stop and browse through.

Thanks for all the advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%