Expired Americolor Gel, Is It Safe To Use?

Decorating By ayshalei Updated 16 Dec 2011 , 5:23am by ayshalei

ayshalei Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 12

I just want to know if it is safe to use an expired Americolor gel? I am based overseas and bought my complete set of big bottles of Americolor gel from Sugracraft.com. When I received the shipment , I found out that they sent me 5 expired gels ( expiry date is 2009, 2010) and 7 more expiring this month. I wrote to them and they told me that there is nothing wrong with an expired americolor gel and it is still safe to use on my cakes. Is this true?

11 replies
birdlady9771 Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 12

They are probably safe, but contact Americolor directly (info@americolorcorp.com or 800-556-0233) to confirm.

sillywabbitz Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 12

I can't believe they sent you expired product. They should replace it all. Even if it is safe, expiration dates are usually an FDA standard and businesses should not be selling expired product. I would be upset that it expired in a month as well.

Definately best to check with Americolor directly as recommended.

KoryAK Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 12

I'm sure they're safe, but they shouldn't be selling you expired product without you knowledge (like a closeout sale or something). I'd contact the company again and ask for replacements or a refund. And before everyone jumps up her (and my) butt for using this particular company, I will say that I have used them for years and found them perfectly reliable and willing to rectify in the couple of mistakes they have made with my orders.

BlakesCakes Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 11:28pm
post #5 of 12

Anyone else notice that the name of the company the OP ordered from was not spontaneously [blocked] here on CC ???

That said, no, they should not have sent expired items, but I'm sure they're fine. I use my gels until they're gone and some colors get little use. I'm sure that some are "expired", but I've never looked. Never, ever, have I had a problem with them

KoryAK Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 12:40am
post #6 of 12

I thought the same thing, but then realized it was because she transposed letters icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 12:52am
post #7 of 12
Originally Posted by KoryAK

I thought the same thing, but then realized it was because she transposed letters icon_smile.gif

HaHa....didn't catch that! Works well, even if unintentional, huh???

ayshalei Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 6:39pm
post #8 of 12

I appreciate all your reply to my post. I apologize that I mention the name of the vendor, I didn't know the rules as it was my first post here. I was a lurker here for a long time and just want to ask the professionals here about the americolor gel.

I contacted again the online store where I bought the gel from and they told me that they will only refund the items if I send it back to them. Even though I sent them photos of the expired gel, they told me that they cannot do anything unless I returned the items to them. I am based here in the middle east and sending back 12 bottles of 13 oz americolor gel will cost me fortune.

As I am afraid to use the expired gel I placed again a new order and requested them that they should check the new gels that they will send to me as I do not want an expired americolor gel. They answered my email that I am welcome to purchase at my own risk. They said they cannot guarantee dates on food coloring. They only get whatever the manufacturer ships regardless of how long is left.
they just assure me that there is nothing bad added to food coloring. They said "best if" used is certainly not an expiration date and I am misinformed about food coloring.

And since it will cost me more to return the items to sugar craft dot com, I placed a new order and only requested them to check the expiry date and still I cannot get assurance from them that they will not give me an expired food coloring again.

I feel bad to be treated this way but I am helpless as I do not know where else to get items for my bakery. Do you think I should contact americolor about this ? Where else to get supplies from?

Thanks all for reading and sorry for my English as it is not my language.

I feel cheated and do not know what to do. Do you think it's

sillywabbitz Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 7:46pm
post #9 of 12

You should definitely look for another supplier. This one obviousely is not customer service oriented. You can probably contact Americolor direclty to find other online suppliers. Also don't throw out your expired gels, just contact Americolor and find out what happens. If it's just that the color is not as true then that's great. If they actually go bad then you will have to ditch them and re-order.

BlakesCakes Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 12:36am
post #10 of 12

Please believe me--your colors are FINE to use. There is NOTHING wrong with them.

Don't spend the money to send them back OR to buy new ones--especially from the company you used originally. Many members here have horror stories to tell about their dealing with that organization.

I promise, I know what I'm talking about. Those dates mean NOTHING. The dates are mandated by government regulations, but really on matter when something is perishable--dairy, pre-made foods, etc. The colors can thicken slightly if older, but that's all.

I'm sure that it's very hard to find suppliers who will send to the overseas, but you can check with caljavaonline.com .

Annabakescakes Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 12:55am
post #11 of 12

I second Rae! I have never had a problem with that company, I was just there today and handed out a few of my best selling cupcakes! I love them. I assure you there is nothing wrong with the coloring, if you insist on not using it, I'll pay the shipping and you can send them to me!

I am sorry they did that, I know some people can be funny about dates so they should've asked first. I really would be happy to use them and not think twice. I

ayshalei Posted 16 Dec 2011 , 5:23am
post #12 of 12

Thanks so much ladies for taking time to answer my post. I will check caljava what they have.
Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%