Tilley Hat? Retirement Cake

Decorating By ihateveggies Updated 14 Dec 2011 , 8:26pm by jgifford

ihateveggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihateveggies Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 4

so my old boss is retiring (not meaning he is old but that he isn't my boss anymore icon_wink.gif) - my boss before him gave the idea that I should do a Tilley hat shaped cake (safari style hat) as that is what he is known for wearing everywhere!

How would you do this for 40 guests? One giant hat? A hat on a round tier? Would you make the brim out of gumpaste so it could dry folded up?

Help please!

3 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 4

I would set it on a base with the brim up on the side - - I like the way that looks. Here is a good tutorial for making a cowboy hat, but it wouldn't take much to adjust for the tilley hat. HTH

http://www.ehow.com/how_7776344_make-gum-paste-cowboy-hat.html

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 4

I would probably do a hat on a round tier as well. I think it would be easier to shape a hat out of 50/50 gumpaste/fondant then it would be to carve a cake into the right shape. That's probably because my carving skills are pretty limited. If you are a good carver then the hat out of cake would be cute. I'd just put it on a fun cake board to make it stand out.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 4

Actually, for a tilley hat, there shouldn't be too much carving - - it's pretty much round to start with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%