Diabetic Cake?

Decorating By cfpeoples Updated 14 Dec 2011 , 11:06pm by BlakesCakes

cfpeoples Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfpeoples Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 7

A friend of mine wants me to make a small cake for her mother, a diabetic. Does anyone know a good recipe for one? I will be giving her a list of all the ingredients too, but haven't found a recipe i like. Thanks!

6 replies
MrsNisch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNisch Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 7

My dad is diabetic and after trying many recipes I finally bought a Pillsbury cake mix (sugar free) it uses splenda. I got the chocolate and it was really quite good. The frosting on the other hand is awful - I would use a type of frosting that doesn't have a lot of sugar such as this one http://allrecipes.com/recipe/moms-buttercream-frosting/ you might be able to use splenda although I haven't tried it yet. You could also use real whip cream and add splenda for a sweetener.

Just some ideas - hope it helps

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 7

We invested a lot of time and money in coming up with a traditional cake that was suitable for diabetics. The cake itself is easy, but we were unable to come up with a diabetic-friendly frosting recipe we felt comfortable selling. Personally I would rather have a tiny piece of great-tasting cake than a standard size piece of mediocre cake, and that's what we tell people looking for diabetic-friendly cake (which is a lot more complex than just sugar-free).

cfpeoples Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfpeoples Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 7

thanks for the help, Yes, i do realize there is a lot more to it that sugar-free, and that is what worries me so much.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 7

I made a cake once for a diabetic couple. Like you all have said. It is weird to bake with white flour and just eliminate the sugar. Anyway, I ended up making a ganache with unsweetened chocolate and adding a sweetener to that. (I think I used Whey Low, but I don't know how safe it is. I just don't like the artificial ones).

I have tried adding Xylitol to whipped cream with great results. I guess xylitol came be extracted from different sources and I've heard to avoid the ones from corn and preferably use the ones from birch.

Hope this helps you a little...

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 10:48pm
post #6 of 7

I made a cake for my brother-in-law the other day using the sugar free mix and the diabetic frosting on this site which is Ingredients
2 (1 ounce) boxes sugar-free instant pudding mix (any flavor)
1 cup skim milk
3 cups heavy whipping cream
Instructions
Put all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Using electric mixer at low speed, mix til pudding is dissolved. Increase speed and whip until it is spreading consistency.

He liked it. With diabetic, white flour is a problem. You could try to find recipes using whole wheat flour or substituting some of the flour for whole wheat.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 11:06pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

We invested a lot of time and money in coming up with a traditional cake that was suitable for diabetics. The cake itself is easy, but we were unable to come up with a diabetic-friendly frosting recipe we felt comfortable selling. Personally I would rather have a tiny piece of great-tasting cake than a standard size piece of mediocre cake, and that's what we tell people looking for diabetic-friendly cake (which is a lot more complex than just sugar-free).

Absolutely!!

A carb loaded item like cake, no matter how carefully crafted to be "sugar free", is something that has to be a planned-for indulgence in any diabetic's diet.

I completely agree that if someone is going to splurge, much better to do it with something really good, rather than on something that provides a sense of false security..........and doesn't really hold a candle to the real thing.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%