Figuring Servings For 3-D Cakes

Baking By cfpeoples Updated 14 Dec 2011 , 8:37pm by Panel7124

cfpeoples Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 4

I already have a price per serving for 3-d cakes, but my problem is how many servings do I have left after you go hacking away...so I can chargremy "per serving price". I try to estimate in my head how many servings i have chopped off and thrown away and deduct those. Or should i go by the original size of the cakes before cutting away I could never really figure this one out. What do you do? Thanks!

3 replies
KoryAK Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 4

You go by the size that the final cake feeds, but you charge more per serving for the greater difficulty and the lost cake.

sillywabbitz Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 4

To determine the number of servings, you have to determine the volume of cake compared to the slices. This is hard because every 3D cake is different. For me I look at it from the perspective of if you were at the party how would you cut the cake.

Let's take a simple 3D cake like a corsette cake. I'd probably use the base rectangle shape and deduct 3 to 4 servings for carving in the waste. Add 2 servings for the bust and call it done.

But if you're talking about a 3D dinosaur, now you have bigger issues. There are hills and valleys to the cake. Look at your cake design and plan a cutting chart. The flat pieces would be one calculation of servings. The taller parts you may cut tall slices and then cut them in 1/2 so that may yield 2 servings per cut. Does that make sense?

There is no easy way to do it.
Hope that helps a little.

Panel7124 Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 4

I weigh it and calculate 100 g/portion which is a standard portion here. (The cakes are sold by weight - I do not sell them by weight but in this case it actually helps). And charge much more per serving than for a simple cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%