How Do I Ship A Cheesecake?

Decorating By SnackFairy Updated 15 Dec 2011 , 12:36pm by scp1127

SnackFairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnackFairy Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 2

I have a few people out of town looking to buy cheesecake; I thought packaging in dry ice after freezing would be the way to go but when I called the UPS Store the gentleman told me to use the "blue freezy pack". He stated that it's a lot cheaper and works better than using dry ice which is a hazardous material (that part struck me as funny since I work for a trucking company and already knew that little fact). Really a "blue frezzy pack" has anyone done this? Does is work? Did you overnight it? PLEASE HELP! Thank you and happy caking icon_biggrin.gif

1 reply
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 12:36pm
post #2 of 2

You must have an FDA license to ship. Not having it is a federal offense with hefty fines. Part of the licensing involves proper shipping of highly perishable items, cheesecakes being one. The guidelines state the process and that is why shipping these items costs between $25 to $50 to ship. Proper temperature must beguaranteed to be maintained, even in adverse conditions. Just to drive a cheesecake to a location involves a huge set of rules, which I have to follow in my business. I have to maintain temps even in a short 20 minute ride and I must have verifiable means to do that, checked by the HD. I am sure that an insurance company would not have to pay a claim involving improper packaging of an unlicensed product.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%