Ouch! Cake Decoratign Tendonitis?

Decorating By sleepy20520 Updated 21 Dec 2011 , 2:22am by jerry0503214

sleepy20520 Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 4:33am
post #1 of 9

so i just started up my cake busiess 7 months ago & so far ive been fine....all of a sudden this whole week ive been in PAIN! my arm from my shoulder to my fingers HURTS! i had a huge cake pop order and im assuming thats the cause....but what to do? i mean if onnly 7 months in does this, where can my business go with this kind of pain??!?!! kinda freakin out!
any advice?

8 replies
Apti Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 5:52am
post #2 of 9

You are right to freak out. This could be serious and you need to see your physician right away. I suggest you keep a journal of your pain (decorating jobs that preceded the pain, tasks that make it worse, worse in morning after sleeping?, which hand/fingers, etc.). The journal will be very helpful to your physician.

The workplace environment of "cake decorating" has had a study of the ergonomics associated with frequent tasks. OSHA has specific ergonomic recommendations for people who work in bakeries decorating cakes. If you follow these recommendations, it reduces carpal tunnel & tendenitis injuries in the workplace.

(Here's the definition of ergonomics: Ergonomics is the science of adapting the job and/or the equipment and the human to each other for optimal safety and productivity.)

Seeing a doctor NOW will enable you to work with a physical and/or occupational therapist who will be able to make specific suggestions to lessen the strain on your hands & arms while doing cake decorating.

I wish you well.

shuswapcakes Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 9

I had this happen to me last year. My partner took two weeks off in the summer so it was just me doing all the cakes and I totally over did it. I had to end up taking almost a month off until I could decorate cakes again icon_sad.gif It started off in my hand and would go all the way up my arm. My doctor gave me special stretches to do and thankfully rest helped too. Now I'm just careful as to how much I take on so it doesn't happen again! Take care of yourself!

Debbye27 Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 9

I am going through the EXACT same thing!! I had a huge cake order last week and I really hurt myself doing it...I was diagnosed with carpel tunnel last year (I guess from working on computers...but I left that job and the pain behind) 3 months of cake decorating, and no problems- until this last cake- and I am still in pain!! It's sad, because I really want to do the cakes - I plan on looking into getting the wrist braces and looking into different ways of decorating so as not to hurt myself further. But I have a feeling there may be surgery in my not so distant future....cause I discovered cake decorating- and don't want to do anything else! Let me know if you find out any good tips though!

sleepy20520 Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 12:53am
post #5 of 9

thakns everyone! I havent been to the dr yet..but after alot of reading ive been doing ice/heat & stretches and its helped some. def not totally gone but def helped... i also got a wrist brace which helps some.
Deb- im just like you. i knew i had previous tendonitis (not carpal- was tested before) from computer work... well since i quit that ive had no pain. lately ive had alot of emails, business stuff to take care of so i think doing more comp work. ive noticed whenever i have a day of alot of computer stuff my arm is worse... i think that combined with 2 days i WAY over did it (14 hours).... i just know now when to stop i think...
hopefully it doesnt get worse....

MimiFix Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 1:36am
post #6 of 9

Several years ago I worked as a pastry chef doing some heavy duty hours. When the pain started I knew I could tough it out; I just didn't know how stupid I was. By the time I got to the doctor I had a double dose of carpal tunnel. Five hand surgeries later, my best advice is to listen to your body. It's the only one you'll ever have. Hire someone to do the heaviest work and give your arms a rest. They will reward you with many more years of service.

WilmaFlint Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 1:47am
post #7 of 9

I also experienced my first bout with tendonitis earlier this year. I had a huge order to fill in just 3 days. My hubby has had problems with tendonitis and told me to use his brace. It is a band that wraps around the arm just below the elbow and has a pad that supports the tendon. It helped me a lot and its something you can get at the drug store. I slowed down on cakes for a while and haven't had any more problems since July.
Hope your arm feels better soon. I know the feeling of thinking i might not be able to do cakes anymore and its not a good feeling.

Debbye27 Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 9

I just got the braces a few days ago- and they help a lot! altough I haven't tried baking with them-don't want to get them dirty icon_smile.gif but..yeah- wish I listened to my body like MimiFix
said, cause since I pulled an all nighter on a cake -like up til 6:30 am! and then decorated tedious cupcakes the next day...and still am in agony over it 2 weeks later! I feel like I'll probably need the surgery soon.. I have 3 more orders to go still, and only one in January, and then it's a sad break for me... I love doing this, but can't believe what it's done to my wrists...I might start looking for an assistant though- that should help me with the hard stuff. Hope you're feeling better sleepy - I feel silly wearing these braces and babying my sore wrists- at age 27!! But gotta try to slow down so we can enjoy this for a long time icon_wink.gif

jerry0503214 Posted 21 Dec 2011 , 2:22am
post #9 of 9

The workplace environment of "cake decorating" has had a study of the ergonomics associated with frequent tasks. OSHA has specific ergonomic recommendations for people who work in bakeries decorating cakes. If you follow these recommendations, it reduces carpal tunnel & tendenitis injuries in the workplace.

(Here's the definition of ergonomics: Ergonomics is the science of adapting the job and/or the equipment and the human to each other for optimal safety and productivity.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%