Best Cake And Cookie Decorating Kits

Decorating By sweetpea3829 Updated 26 Dec 2011 , 7:28am by shanter

sweetpea3829 Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 3:15am
post #1 of 5

Ok...I've about had it with flimsy baggies for piping frosting. And with random tips here and there that don't fit correctly. I would like to purchase a real, professional cake and cookie decorating set. Tips, decorating bags, etc. The whole shebang.

Cost is a consideration, but really...if the best one is very expensive, I can wait and save up...so I don't really have a cost ceiling.

Suggestions for the best kits? I honestly have been shying away from Wilton stuff lately, as I've found some of it to be not the best quality...but if Wilton makes a comprehensive kit and it's the best...than sure, I'd be interested!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and thoughts!

4 replies
sillywabbitz Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 4:16am
post #2 of 5

I find with kits I get a bunch of crap I don't use so I prefer buying individual.  I like Wilton spatulas, tips and bags just fine. Their cake leveler sucks as does their titled turn table from what I've heard. Ateco is considered the pro stuff. I buy their fondant cutters and specialty tips. 

Kit items
Box of disposal piping bags- Wilton are actually good
1 or 2 over sized reusable bags. I have the large Wilton one and I like it a lot.
Tips I use all the time
Wilton 1M -I have 2 and sometimes which I had more
102,103, 104 petal tips.
19,22,32 star tips
every size round tip you can think oficon_smile.gif
Icer tip. I like it not everyone does. You do need a large icing bag with that tip
Numerous off set spatulas. I use only the small ones
containers for tips and cutters
America gel food colors - Wilton are fine but Americolors are better...and now available at Hobby Lobby
Black food marker 
Pearl dusts/ luster dusts
White new knee high for cornstarch puff
Small jars for mixing gum glues and paints
Good container for storing colors - I'm still looking for that icon_smile.gif
Nice set of paint brushes- get the ones with rubber handles. The painted ones shed
Couple of sizes of pastry brushes
Cake only exacto knife
Sewing ruler - the one with the adjustable thing on it
Bench scraper 
Small level

I'm sure I'm missing a few things. As far as great to haves but not in the kit:
Agbay Cake leveler
Pasta attachments for stand mixer

I hope that gets you started.I don't do cookies so I can't help you there. 

Rusti Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 10:17pm
post #3 of 5

I mostly agree with sillywabbiz abut your supplies but I do prefer PME tips to Wiltons. I just get better results but they are more expensive. I would also add to that a good ckae turntable.

sweetpea3829 Posted 25 Dec 2011 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks everyone!!

shanter Posted 26 Dec 2011 , 7:28am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Sewing ruler - the one with the adjustable thing on it

Just FYI, if you go in a fabric store to get one of these, ask for a hem gauge. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%