How Much Should I Make Per Hour?

Business By HotChocolate Updated 14 Dec 2011 , 1:08am by jason_kraft

HotChocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HotChocolate Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 12:20am
post #1 of 3

Hey, this is my first post.
I live in the midwest and have been interning for free at a cake decorating place for three and a half months. I have never had a job before, though I have quite a bit of experience in cake decorating, and have been doing it for about 3 years. Also, I am almost done getting my culinary and baking & pastry certificates from college.

My boss has told me I will be hired when the internship is over, but we haven't discussed hourly wages, yet. She has told me that her business puts out "good enough" cakes, and she wants to bump it up to, "great" cakes, and I can get her to that point. She says I have that "something" she's been looking for that her other employees don't have; an eye for balance, detail, accuracy in replication, and precision. It comes naturally. She also says I will be doing mostly fondant since no one else there likes to do it! Haha, luckily that is what I like best! These compliments make me believe she values my ability, but I am still afraid I'll get jipped because I am only 20 years old.

I am wanting to know how much I should ask for, and how much I will probably end up getting paid.

Thank you for any help!

2 replies
Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 1:08am
post #2 of 3

Your cakes are remarkable!

Here's a bump so hopefully someone with insight can help. I'm only 21, and about to start baking school, so I can't be of more help lol.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 1:08am
post #3 of 3

Check out payscale.com or salary.com for a salary survey of relevant jobs in your area. Cake decorators typically start at $10-15/hour depending on area and expertise.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%