Can I Interchange Lard For Shortnig In A Frosting Recipie -

Baking By Byron Updated 13 Dec 2011 , 2:03pm by Byron

Byron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Byron Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 7

Hi,

I am wanting to ice some cupcakes with a shortning/sugar frosting. I am thinking of useing Lard, as the cakes are for dogs, so thought it may be a better flavour for them. I want something that will keep for a week or so if kept cool.

I know it is a strange question, but just wondered if anyone out there had done this. ( All of my freinds laugh or shake their head when I ask icon_rolleyes.gif )

Also, how long d you think cream cheses and shortning would last when mixed together kept cool. I imaging it would last the length of the cream chese expiry date, but then again, it has had all that air whipped into it.

Thanks

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 7

I call MUD.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 7

If they're for dogs, I'd use peanut butter for at least part of the fat component of your frosting. I don't think I'd go with lard at all though just because of the ick factor. I would never give my three fur kids lard, but they all love peanut butter. HTH

Byron Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 7

I have used penut butter in previous years, but have recived feadback from people reagarding allergies, and not wanting penut butter in the house. ( I drop them off to each dogs home).

I will just have to use regular shortning/marg.

Thanks

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 3:13pm
post #5 of 7

First of all, I have never known any dog to be a cake snob. My two Bostons don't even take the time to taste their food. Food just kind of gets vacuumed in. They LOVE buttercream, but then again one of them used to eat his own turds. A turd-eater does not have a distinguished palate.

If you stick with your regular BC recipe, you should be fine.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 7

We've made frosting with lard for customers who have allergies to both dairy and soy...it was pretty good, better than dairy/soy-free frosting made with palm oil shortening.

Byron Posted 13 Dec 2011 , 2:03pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the input. I think I will try the lard. Its reassuring that someone else has used it.

The CupCakes are Carob and Liver and as previously mentioned, dont get tasted by my fussy Vizsla's.

I got some bacon bits for "spinkels"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%