Another Strange Georgetown Cupcake Recipe...

Baking By Osgirl Updated 13 Dec 2011 , 5:24am by love2bake68

Osgirl Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 12:50am
post #1 of 9

I just don't get it! I posted about their caramel apple recipe being temperamental. Not only that, the book says "18 cupcakes" but it made closer to 30! I read some reviews and others said this as well.

Today I tried their gingerbread cupcake recipe. Their book says "12 cupcakes". HAAA! So far I've made 12 standard sized cupcakes, 24 minis, and I still have 1/3 or more of the batter left.

I can't figure out why it's so different. I followed the recipe exactly both times. I emailed them about the caramel apple recipe being so off with no response. I feel like calling them and asking if this book is just a bunch of recipes they threw together that are nothing like the ones they really use. Hmmm...

8 replies
madcobbler Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 1:15am
post #2 of 9

Perhaps they are using a jumbo cupcake/muffin tin pan.

Osgirl Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 2:41am
post #3 of 9

Well, the recipes do say "standard size" and I know that's what they use in their bakery.

scp1127 Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 4:41am
post #4 of 9

I don't get why this is a problem, especially such a crisis as to contact them. Besides that, just run down a recipe and calculate for yourself how many it will make. It's not hard. You can usually glance at the amount of flour and sugar and know. Ina Garten's recipes all make more but I don't see anyone giving her a bad review because they got a few more cupcakes. It's common sense and math.

Many of these recipes are not temperamental, but the simple ingredients require some knowledge of method. These are not "how to" books, of which there are many. These books are for bakers who want to duplicate the recipes made famous by the establishment. Miette, for example, contains a recipe that has baffled seasoned pastry chefs. I haven't gotten it to work yet. It doesn't mean the recipe is bad. It means there is a skill level required to accomplish this dessert.

Noobz Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 12:16pm
post #5 of 9

I would contact them, a mistake is a mistake and i'm sure the publishers would appreciate it so that its not repeated in further editions.

Its probably a scaling error that noone has picked up, if a recipe is supposed to make 12 cupcakes and it makes 50, that is a problem.

Kathy107 Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 9

Hi Osgirl, How did the gingerbread cupcakes taste? I would be annoyed too if the recipe says 18 and it actually makes 30 cupcakes. We are bakers but someone new to baking or a kid would be turned off. I have seen this book in Target but I am waiting for some more reviews of the recipes before I purchase it. Also I saw your review on Amazon about the book. Good for you to voice your opinion. I am sure the DC cupcake girls will see it on there. Thanks for posting your results with the receips from this book and keep them coming icon_smile.gif

Osgirl Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 7:24pm
post #7 of 9

SCP-I NEVER said it was a "crisis". icon_confused.gif I do think it's odd that 3 of their recipes are calculated way off. And yes, I could tell by looking at it that it would make more than 12. They have bakeries, a show, and now a'd think they'd get the right amounts in their book. I can see being off by a few, but 12 vs 30+? That's a huge difference.

Gee...I apologize for posting this as I'm obviously not a "seasoned" enough baker.

Osgirl Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 7:27pm
post #8 of 9

Kathy-It tasted fine. Is it the best out there? Probably not, but it was pretty good. Overall, I'm not overly impressed with their recipes. I'm working my way through their book to find out the hype (since I cannot pay $50+ for cupcakes). Out of all the recipes I've tried (maybe 6?) their vanilla is the only one that I will continue to use. I love their cream cheese frosting too but that's published on the internet.

love2bake68 Posted 13 Dec 2011 , 5:24am
post #9 of 9

I agree with you completely, the recipes are a bit off and I couldn't believe how many cupcakes the batter actually made. I wasn't too happy with the gingerbread way too much ginger. I did like the pumpkin spice, I just haven't been motivated to try any of the other recipes yet. I will definately try the vanilla recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%