I Finally Stuck Up For Myself! And Thanks To All Of You

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 7 Jan 2012 , 1:09am by step0nmi

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 27

some of you may remember me talking about making a wedding cake over the summer for a Serbian bride having about 500 guests and just wanting a small cake...LAST MINUTE. Well, her friend (and a bride that I was originally suppose to make my first Serbian wedding cake for) has been in talks with me about HER cake for the same amount of people. I couldn't take it anymore...after a handful of emails and me quickly realizing that she was going lower and lower with servings (under 200 because they have "other" desserts) and while I was waving the fee for the top tier and the very complicated set up she had...I told her I will not be able to do a cake for her for under $300. icon_evil.gif

she ended up wanting a very complex cake with glass vases underneath on top of a plexi glass (which i didn't think would hold the 3 -4 tiered cake) and also foam separators with a certain color ribbon AND diamond ribbon or whatever you call it. She tried the age old scam icon_twisted.gif "I talked with another home baker and she gave me $x.xx per serving". obviously significantly lower than what I was quoting her from the original photo being in fondant and fondant ribbons and such.

yes, I was stupid and went lower in my price per serving because she was a friend I went to college with...and I shouldn't have. my last email to her stated something to the fact of "I am a business woman and have been doing this for a while, I cannot do your cake for lower than $300 without getting paid for my time to decorate and set up your cake" (as well as being apologetic for wasting her and my time)

I DON'T CARE IF SHE EMAILS ME BACK UPSET OR GOES BACK TO MY ORIGINAL QUOTE...I will NOT be doing her wedding cake!!! icon_biggrin.gif even if she wasn't asking another baker about a lower price...this is just ridiculous and I really don't think I can work with brides anymore. icon_redface.gif

I know this is long winded but I just want to thank you to all the ladies, decorators, and members on this site that have given advice and their stories in these situations and have stuck up for themselves! i really do feel like I am saving myself from a future of nonsense from this friend/bride...maybe this will also be a wake up call for how she is conducting herself for her wedding.
icon_rolleyes.gif

26 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 27

Way to go! You should be very proud. Standing up for your value is a hard lesson to learn but the most important. Your time and talent is worth a lot more than the headaches she was giving you.

designdiva22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
designdiva22 Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 10:24pm
post #3 of 27

good for you!!!! *thumbs up*

step0nmi Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 27

THANK YOU! icon_biggrin.gif I am proud of myself! I don't like confrontation but at this point, I don't care. My ultimate lesson is: just because someone SAYS that they need to fit a cake in their budget, doesn't mean that I need to BUDGE on my pricing!

Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 27

Yay! I'm glad you stood up for yourself. =)

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 12:00am
post #6 of 27

good for you

NerdyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NerdyGirl Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 12:02am
post #7 of 27

I look at it this way: My business is my child and it's up to me to protect it. It really helps when it's time for confrontation! Good for you for sticking up for yourself AND your business.

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 12:05am
post #8 of 27

Good for you. You don't need to be bullied into anything. I rarely do wedding cakes anymore for that very reason thumbs_up.gif

step0nmi Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 1:07am
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdyGirl

I look at it this way: My business is my child and it's up to me to protect it. It really helps when it's time for confrontation! Good for you for sticking up for yourself AND your business.

ohhh, this is a good one! I am definitely going to remember that, thanks icon_wink.gif

step0nmi Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 1:09am
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulou2

Good for you. You don't need to be bullied into anything. I rarely do wedding cakes anymore for that very reason thumbs_up.gif

"Bullied" is the keyword here! thumbs_up.gif I was definitely starting to feel like that. I am a pretty confident woman and to have someone do that to me, even through email, was a no go. probably helps that I'm sick and feeling like I don't want to be taken advantage of. each email from this girl was making me madder and madder...nipped it in the bud icon_twisted.gif

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 13 Dec 2011 , 4:14pm
post #11 of 27

Well done!!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 13 Dec 2011 , 4:45pm
post #12 of 27

The fact that you are letting me know that you are speaking to someone else would annoy me instantly, I would have refered her back to that other home baker straight away.I don't fall for those tricks.Well done for sticking up for yourself.

step0nmi Posted 13 Dec 2011 , 8:05pm
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by solascakes

The fact that you are letting me know that you are speaking to someone else would annoy me instantly, I would have refered her back to that other home baker straight away.I don't fall for those tricks.Well done for sticking up for yourself.

you know, that did have me peeved...and it was one short email about my pricing and then asking about another cake and how much it was that I was like "no more". I feel so much better about it...but I am still waiting for that email to come about my pricing or her asking me to do her cake still icon_lol.gif

the answer will be "no" icon_wink.gif

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 13 Dec 2011 , 8:23pm
post #14 of 27

Great going step0nmi - you may even be changing your username to watchoutf0rmi soon! icon_lol.gif

I deal almost exclusively with brides and wedding cakes and every bride fishing for a discount uses the "well this other baker quoted me $X.xx" line. I always tell them "If you liked the look and the taste of their cake better we wouldn't be having this conversation, would we?"

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 13 Dec 2011 , 10:08pm
post #15 of 27

I think the "other baker" thing is hilarious. If the "other baker" wants to give such a great deal, why are you still talking to me? heh, heh.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 12:51am
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupadeecakes

I deal almost exclusively with brides and wedding cakes and every bride fishing for a discount uses the "well this other baker quoted me $X.xx" line. I always tell them "If you liked the look and the taste of their cake better we wouldn't be having this conversation, would we?"

Good one!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

step0nmi Posted 14 Dec 2011 , 4:47am
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupadeecakes

Great going step0nmi - you may even be changing your username to watchoutf0rmi soon! icon_lol.gif

dang, should've started posting my story sooner cuz this is a good come back! thumbs_up.gif

step0nmi Posted 23 Dec 2011 , 10:23pm
post #18 of 27

welp! i was wrong...thought that my post threw her but she's emailed me back. Now her tone has changed and she doesn't want to go above $350. i'm still done with it though...i've been sick for 3 weeks and don't feel like dealing with her at all. I am definitely sure she didn't have another baker now.

syarber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
syarber Posted 27 Dec 2011 , 5:55pm
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Quote:

i've been sick for 3 weeks and don't feel like dealing with her at all. I am definitely sure she didn't have another baker now.

I would simply say that the date is no longer available. No point in putting yourself through the headache once again. Keep standing up for yourself. icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Dec 2011 , 10:07pm
post #20 of 27

Sorry to hear you have been under the weather icon_sad.gif Hope by now you are better. Please, please keep us updated on this whole thing.

step0nmi Posted 27 Dec 2011 , 10:24pm
post #21 of 27

i really don't know if i want to say anything to her...maybe she'll just go away! lol

cookiekisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiekisses Posted 27 Dec 2011 , 11:25pm
post #22 of 27

She probably won't go away, just get on your nerves some more. Your best bet would be to thank her for her interest in your baking but you are unable to do her cake for that date. She might never call you again, but I think you can probably handle that icon_smile.gif . Think ahead to all of the wonderful customers you can bake for!

step0nmi Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 11:33pm
post #23 of 27

ok...so this is the first time ever that i cannot actually drum up a response to a customer. i think i need your ladies help. I am not sure whether i want to do her cake now...it almost sounds as if i would be doing her a "favor", but she keeps coming to me and i know she likes my work. btw, the cake IS for memorial day weekend...i don't ever really do anything on that weekend :p

first email that i talked about how she came back after I said i wouldn't do it:
Sorry for the delay in my response, its been a very busy last few weeks! Why don't you tell me what you would be comfortable doing that set up for. I can say I definitely do not want four tiers, and I definitely don't care how many it feeds, but I do care about the design and about keeping it below $350. Thanks

email today:
I wanted to make sure you received my last email, I have included it below. Since then the other baker I was considering has let me know she will actually be out of town for the holiday weekend, so she is no longer an option. If you are still interested in doing the cake and letting me know what your quote would be please let me know so I don't go to the bakeries in town if I don't have to. Thanks so much!

icon_lol.gificon_redface.gif
what to say? what would YOU say?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 12:09am
post #24 of 27

I'd say this:

"I'm sorry, but I'm no longer available for that date. If you'd like to try someone else, you can check with (then fill in the name of someone you don't like), they can probably help you."

No more than that, you don't owe her an explanation and you don't need to continue the conversation after that.

step0nmi Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 12:50am
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I'd say this:

"I'm sorry, but I'm no longer available for that date. If you'd like to try someone else, you can check with (then fill in the name of someone you don't like), they can probably help you."

No more than that, you don't owe her an explanation and you don't need to continue the conversation after that.

thank you! i'm going to copy and paste that icon_wink.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 12:56am
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I'd say this:

thank you! i'm going to copy and paste that icon_wink.gif

Just make sure to fill in the name of someone you REALLY don't like to send her to, hahaha!

step0nmi Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 1:09am
post #27 of 27

i sent her to somewhere i KNOW it is going to cost WAY more than me...any actual bakery is going to cost more than what i quoted though. she's in for a real treat! icon_twisted.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%