Steam To Get Rid Of Cracks In Fondant?

Decorating By Claire138 Updated 12 Dec 2011 , 7:27pm by Claire138

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 8:07pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone know if I can use steam (from a kettle or iron), that I would usually use to get a shiny look to get rid of cracks in fondant? I'm wondering if it could work bc I sometimes have cracks that I can't get rid of no matter what I do so I was thinking that bc the steam essentially would moisten the fondant then theoretically I should be able to rub the fondant back together or would it leave marks?
If anyone has any idea I'd love to know. Thanks

6 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 12:24am
post #2 of 7

Nope, steam just makes it shiney. To repair hairline cracks in fondant rub some solid white fat (Crisco) into the crack until it comes together. In just a few hours the Crisco will disappear. Another technique to use if the crack is a bit larger - make s paste of crisco and powdered sugar - just a little of each and rub into the crack. If you have a lot of cracking problems try rolling your fondant out onto a counter or mat lightly greased with Crisco. Sounds like your fondant is too dry. If you make your own, add a couple tablespoons full of Crisco to the recipe or grease your hands with Crisco then knead in.

Claire138 Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for your response, now I have to see where I can buy some crisco (I live in France so I'm not sure I can get it here). I'll definitely put that on my list for when I next go abroad.
I've tried using regular oil with no luck & then margarine but with dismal results.
The cake is for a gift and doesn't look terrible I just would have just preferred it to be perfect.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 7

You can also mix up some royal icing in the same shade as the fondant and fill the crack with royal icing. Smooth it over and it should be ok.

~Chelle

Claire138 Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 7

Ah ha! Royal Icing I do have!

Thank you so much,

Claire

Abeera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Abeera Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 7:12pm
post #6 of 7

Hello..

u'll find Crisco look alike.. one product is vegetaline... u'll find it in Carrefour or Leclerc.. i know only these two markets i use to buy grocery from there

i simply use royal icing to cover cracks

good luck finding shortening

Claire138 Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks, I shall have a look when I next go.

Thank you to everyone,

Claire

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%