Need Idea To Top Last Year's Over-The-Top Cake!

Decorating By chanielisalevy Updated 12 Dec 2011 , 3:18am by chanielisalevy

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 4

Every year I donate a cake to feed 350 people for my daughter's school parent's function. This year they are still hammering out the theme but it will be something along the line of changes through the years. It's a multigenerational mother's event. I was thinking of something like each tier representing the 3 generations, from rotary phones, cordless, up to cell phones, etc. Each tier representing that generation in technology, advances, anything, Help! The cake is the centerpiece and the first thing they see when they walk in. I need wow factor here, and my creative juices have turned to powder! HELP! ANything goes, I get carte blanche here.

Even if I don't keep it to the theme, I was thinking maybe something anti-gravity, of a trompe l'oleil, HELP!! Brain fry!! You CC members have always been incredibly helpful, don't let me down now! Thanks in advance for your input and shared creativity.

3 replies
cangela4re Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cangela4re Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 4

You could do an edible images collage starting with black and white grandma/grandpa, maybe a book and inkwell, or old typewriter and old princess style phone and then move on to pictures of a mom and dad with little kids collage with an old AT type computer and a bag phone or cordless phone then onto a collage of young adults today with a laptop and a smartphone.

For a theme: Then and Now - Many Generations, One Goal (or heart) for Education

Some other generational ideas I can think of would be the progression of a coal stove to an oven to a microwave....a fountain pen, a bic pen and a stylus...a one room little red schoolhouse to a modern school to a laptop showing online courses/degrees....a well pump to a faucet to bottled water (this might be hard to do [pulled/blown sugar] lol just hoping to throw some ideas your way to spark some inspiration), old blackboard to green chalkboard to dry erase board....albums to casettes to cd's...big old style camera to 35mm camera to digital tiny camera....a magnifying glass magnifying the word "clue" to a fingerprint to a DNA strand....the words "gee whiz" to "yikes" to "OMG" or something else reflecting our ever-popular texting lingo...curlers to hot rollers to the straight iron

Hope these help stir the idea pot!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 4

Just from the initial theme, I envision a large tiered cake with a beautiful tree growing up the side, the branches on each tier would expand out (kind of like a family tree and you could hang things off the branches. If you wanted to do edible images. I would put them in fondant frames and hang them. Kind of an antique look. If not using edible images, i would go more abstract and maybe have famous dates...and make it a game to see who can identify the most events for the dates shown. We're game people in my familyicon_smile.gif just some thoughts.

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 3:18am
post #4 of 4

ooooohhhhh! My creative juices are starting up again!! cangela4re and sillywabbitz, you too are the greatest! Thanks for such fabulous ideas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%