Wow Inspired But New To This!

Baking By ChelleW Updated 23 Jan 2012 , 12:01am by ChelleW

ChelleW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChelleW Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 5:34am
post #1 of 3

Hi I am making my first gingerbread house and should probably start tomorrow - yikes! Can someone please please please help?
1. I have tested melting candies for my windows and the humidity here - which is not too bad at the moment made it melt overnight!! Will gelatin sheets last in humidity? Can you colour them with gel? Any other options?
2. I am using WINS (thanks) nibbling version recipe. Does anyone know whether this will stand up to humidity? Also will glucose syrup work instead of corn syrup which is not easy to come by here?
3. Last question - now this is a really silly one! - how much does a stick of butter weigh? Trying to convert a recipe!

I really hope someone - anyone can help I have already tried in general forum with no luck! icon_confused.gif

2 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 3

Hello Chelle,
The only question I can help you with is the butter. It comes packaged 4 sticks to a pound, so one stick would be 4 oz..

My gingerbread house is windowless this year because I just couldn't find the right kind of candies. I also thought about gelatin sheets, but in the chaos that is Dec. in my house, I just didn't try. I would like to know how that turns out.

ChelleW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChelleW Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 12:01am
post #3 of 3

Thanks for your help. I ended up colouring gelatin sheets with gel and they worked well - not the same as being able to break off and eat though. Gingerbread stood up to weather and didn't collapse on me! Yipee shouldn't have panicked so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%