Buttercream Problem

Decorating By Cathrine123 Updated 12 Dec 2011 , 8:14pm by TexasSugar

Cathrine123 Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 12:17am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone,

I just joined and this is my first time here. I am in real need of help I am a beginner of cake making with using buttercream and fondant I am making some Christmas themed cupcakes and I was making the buttercream and tried to pipe my designs however there was a problem when I piped, I piped using the star nozzle onto the cupcake and it just went wrong icon_cry.gif the buttercream just went sloppy like the shape of the star just went away like wetsand does when it goes back to it's normal state. I hope that I am getting my point across clearly, what am I doing wrong? Am I meant to be letting it firm in the fridge first before piping? Maybe I have too warm hands I always see the chefs on the T.V doing it straight from being made.

Any help is greatly appreciated

5 replies
shannon100 Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 12:29am
post #2 of 6

Sounds like what happened to me when I first tried decorating! It sounds like you have too much liquid in your buttercream. You don't need much. What recipe did you use?

When I first tried, I kept adding milk because it didn't look like it would be enough. But now I follow the Wilton recipe exactly as written, and I let it mix a while and it's perfect.

wildflowercakes Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 12:39am
post #3 of 6

I agree with shannon100. Too much liquid- add a little more powdered sugar to the mix and you should be good to go!

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 2:29am
post #4 of 6

Your buttercream is not stiff enough... add more powdered sugar until you get the right consistency. Good luck!

Cathrine123 Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 6

Thankyou everyone for your helpful replys, yes it seems that I did add too much liquid when I think about it because the recipie that I used I got off youtube it asked for half a cup of butter, half a cup of crisco 1 tsp vanilla extract and 2 tbsp milk but when I was combining the butter/crisco mixture with the icing sugar it was so stiff I thought to myself that it couldnt be right so I added a lot more milk. I will just add alot more icing sugar now.

thanks again!

TexasSugar Posted 12 Dec 2011 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 6

That amount of liquid would give you more of a stiff consistancy if you were using a pound of powder sugar. For a medium, what you usually use with stars you would want to have 3 Tablespoons of liquid total.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%