Covering Square Candy Clay Figure In Mmf

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 17 Dec 2011 , 4:31am by cakesrock

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 10 Dec 2011 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 5

Trying to cover a candy clay square figure with sharp edges with MMF. Should I be putting anything between the modelling choc and fondant. The corners are relatively sharp (which is how I want it) but it keeps tearing! Haven't really worked with candy clay/modelling choc..
TIA

4 replies
deuceofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deuceofcakes Posted 10 Dec 2011 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not sure why you'd want to cover candy clay/modeling chocolate with fondant. The candy clay can be used like fondant or gum paste, even to cover a cake. You can color it using gel colors too. If your edges on the candy clay piece are too sharp, you can soften them slightly by rubbing your finger over them (the warmth from your hand will soften the candy clay).

What are you trying to make?

cakesrock Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 2:07am
post #3 of 5

I made a mini present.I just didn't have the candy melt color I was going for and the Wilton ones seize if you add color. I did manage to get it covered after a few tries. Thanks!

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 3:39am
post #4 of 5

you can add gel colors to candy clay. you just work it in after it has set up. just like working gel color into fondant. i think it will seize if you try to add it when the candy is melting, but after it sets up, it works fine.

cakesrock Posted 17 Dec 2011 , 4:31am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassyzan

you can add gel colors to candy clay. you just work it in after it has set up. just like working gel color into fondant. i think it will seize if you try to add it when the candy is melting, but after it sets up, it works fine.

Good to know!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%