Yellow Cakes :(

Decorating By Wildgirl Updated 20 Dec 2011 , 7:59pm by jeartist

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 10 Dec 2011 , 5:53am
post #1 of 9

I had spent hours reading the Yellow cake scratch-off thread here (super!!!). I had narrowed it down to 3. I'd have to check my notes for the 3rd, but two were Sylvia Weinstock's and the Whimsical Bakehouse recipes. I had made SW's and thought it was great. But the other night I was going to make another for company and realized that I didn't have the sour cream it called for. So I thought it would be a good opportunity to try the WB recipe. Not sure if it was because I didn't use a heater thing in the center or not, but it took a while to bake in my 9x13 and I was a little embarassed at how it turned out. The flavor was ok, but it was dense and slightly on the dry side. Not horrid, but not any wow factor. SW's was a lot better.

Kind of wondering if it was me or if this is what others have experienced? I'd love to just be satisfied with SW's recipe, but it is a bit more labor intensive with having to do the eggwhites. I've been testing recipes for a wedding the end of January (will be making several kinds of cake) and I still need to finalize the yellow cake.

8 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 10 Dec 2011 , 8:45am
post #2 of 9

I use Warren Brown's with alterations. It is a good cake to add flavors also. His recipe and tutorial is on his site, Cake Love. I don't like SW's because I don't like the shrinkage. I have about four yellow recipes. I use them based on what flavor my cake will be in the end. I also base my choice on the texture and density I want. I use quite a few recipes that use beaten egg whites and SW's is not as structurally sound as the others.

PM me and I'll share my changes.

Wildgirl Posted 10 Dec 2011 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 9

I noticed that shrinkage with SW's too. I avoided Cake Love's recipe because I thought I read something negative about it somewhere... but if you made some alterations, then it might be just right on now - I will definitely pm you!

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 10 Dec 2011 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 9

I was going to give you the name of the recipe I use that I posted on her a couple of years ago...but it's disappeared! So, here is the recipe. I have halved it, doubled it, forgotten the eggs completely, miscounted the eggs, added more and less butter...and it has never, ever once failed.

Vanilla Butter Cake

2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 3/4 cups AP flour
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp Creme Bouquet or almond extract

Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy, at least 5 mins. Stir together the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Stir the flavorings into the milk. Add the eggs one at a time to the butter/sugar mixture, beating well after each addition. Add the flour mixture in 3 additions alternating with the milk mixture in 2 additions, mixing well on low after each addition. Use a spatula to mix well and scrape the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl.

Bake @ 325F on middle oven rack for about 40 mins.

Makes 2 - 8" rounds (2" deep pans) or 36 cupcakes

I hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif

Wildgirl Posted 10 Dec 2011 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks Moxey - that sure looks simple enough! I just printed it out. How would you describe the texture - is it dense or moist or dryish or?

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 12:14am
post #6 of 9

In my opinion this recipe makes a medium density cake (can be carved). It is moist and has a delicate crumb. I never have to use a soaking syrup and I get compliments are how moist and delicious it is. It is even better right from the fridge!

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 9

I was going to attempt to do my first yellow scratch cake using Sylvia Weinstock's recipe.

As an inexperienced scratch baker, the recipe looked very intimidating, mostly looking at how the egg whites needed to be added.

But I ended up finding and using FromScratch's white/yellow cake recipe which was very easy and came out beautifully. I also received a lot of compliments on it (one coming from another baker). http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/07/26/white-cake-part-3-with-recipe/

Wildgirl Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 7:43pm
post #8 of 9

If I can do SW's recipe, you can too! lol! I know it sounds intimidating, but it really isn't - just takes longer. I'll check out the one you mentioned too. icon_smile.gif

jeartist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeartist Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 7:59pm
post #9 of 9

Looking forward to trying Moxey2000's recipe. Thnks for posting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%