How Can I Get The Freshest Tasting Cake?

Business By chefrenee40 Updated 10 Dec 2011 , 2:14am by BlakesCakes

chefrenee40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefrenee40 Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 11

My cousin asked me to donate a small quinceanera cake to a family who's father lost his job and other burdens on family as well. And all this gal wants is a birthday cake. So my cousin wants it for Christmas Day and I will be out of town. The earliest I can deliver her any type of cake would be Friday. Is there any type of cake/frosting that works best if I need to make two days before? One of my cake teachers told me a fondant cake can be made a week in advance and still be fresh...but fondant can't go in fridge right? This cake I need will definitely need to be refrigerated. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. icon_smile.gif

10 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 11

Fondant can go in the fridge. The Disney inspired cakes in my photos were fondant and all were refrigerated. There will be condensation, but as long as you don't touch them or mess with them until the condensation evaporates, you're good.

chefrenee40 Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 10:24pm
post #3 of 11

Oh ok that makes sense! Thanks for the info. Also, do you know if cake would still tatse pretty moist after 2 days in fridge...I have never tried it? I'm worried it will be hard and stale.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 11:05pm
post #4 of 11

Rather than frig'ing the cake, freeze it. Even fondant cakes can be fzn, but b'cream is best. The same condensation problem will be with either so advise the people it keep it boxed up and NO ONE touch it for at least 8-12 hours at room temp. In other words they should take it out of the fzr the night before or early in the day for late afternoon/evening serving.

chefrenee40 Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 11

ok sounds great! thanks so much you have been very helpful! icon_smile.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 11:56pm
post #6 of 11

As long as you aren't using anything perishable, it'll last a lot longer than 2 days on the counter at room temperature.

chefrenee40 Posted 10 Dec 2011 , 12:07am
post #7 of 11

What would you recommend as a filling if it will be sitting for 2 days?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 10 Dec 2011 , 12:17am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefrenee40

What would you recommend as a filling if it will be sitting for 2 days?

Buttercream, or just about anything other than fresh strawberries.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 10 Dec 2011 , 12:47am
post #9 of 11

Do a flavored buttercream for your filling.

idreamincupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idreamincupcakes Posted 10 Dec 2011 , 1:14am
post #10 of 11

I refrigerate all my cakes, I always frost my cakes, (scratch or wasc) 2 days before needed, and the day before the event I decorate. I also do a quick brush over with simple syrup, before I frost. So if you could do maybe a day before or day of delivery you may be okay.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Dec 2011 , 2:14am
post #11 of 11

You can freeze any cake--fondant or buttercream-- and have it be fresh as the day it was made once defrosted.

Box completed cake. Wrap in 2 layers of saran & 1 of foil. Freeze.
24hrs. before serving/display, place in fridge still boxed & wrapped.
A few hrs. before serving/display, place on counter still boxed & wrapped.
Now that cake is at room temp, remove from box.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%