I Need Fondant Help...

Decorating By stephdover4 Updated 9 Dec 2011 , 5:34pm by DianeLM

stephdover4 Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 6

This last penguin cake that I made had uneven places in the fondnat I did the dam around the cake before filling and smoothed and smoothed. They weren't terrible but not perfectly smooth like I see on others pictures. What can I do to fix this? More buttercream on the outside? Thicker fiondant? Please help I would like to get a clean professional look.

5 replies
kakeladi Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 6

Without seeing what you are talking about it's hard to help you. Can you post a picture of that cake?
It's possible the fondant was not thick enough.
OR the dam was not stiff enough to hold the filling in

stephdover4 Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 6

I tried to upload the picture when I posted this but it didn't work. The picture is in my gallery, its the penguin cake. And thanks for taking your time to help!!

DianeLM Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 6

First of all, that is a super cute cake!

Looks like your buttercream layer was too thick to have covered at room temperature. IOW, you can apply a thick layer of bc to your cake, BUT, you need to freeze it for a while before hitting it with the fondant. When it's frozen, it won't move around while you're smoothing the fondant.

I like to use a layer of bc mixed with cake crumbs under my fondant. It seems to stay firmer longer than plain bc while I'm covering with fondant.

stephdover4 Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you!! It was a hit at the party...hope it will generate some orders too...LOL!!

Do you always freeze it before applying fondant? I did that with my army cake (also in my gallery), but it made the fondant stiff and hard to smooth out the creases at the bottom of the tier, do you just keep working it until its smooth or is there some trick to that? Hmmm.. the bc and crumb sounds like a good idea too.

Thank you again!

DianeLM Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 6

I always freeze before applying fondant, but only for 30-40 minutes. Just to harden the outside. The inside of the cake is room temp.

Smoothing fondant takes practice. I like that when my cake first comes out of the freezer, it's not sticky. Gives me more time to smooth and stretch where necessary. After a couple of minutes, condensation begins to form, helping the fondant stick to the cake.

When you get pleats at the bottom, gently pull the fondant away from the cake and stretch it ever so slightly. Then, try to smooth it down again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%