Funeral Food...(Desert) Help

Decorating By labmom Updated 9 Dec 2011 , 3:49pm by matthewkyrankelly

labmom Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 5:00am
post #1 of 4

Hi every one... I have been ask to bring desert to a memorial luncheon on saturday following the service. they expect 50 people and 60 at the most.

I think two half sheets and maybe 3 pies ...maybe some brownies or cupcakes ... prob. brownies because I doubt there will be many children... but now days cupcakes are for everyone...

what do you think... is that going to be enough? dinner isn't going to be huge... so desert i am sure will be eaten ..i don't think that many people will be bringing anything from what I have been told... so how much of what do you think will be ok. Also the cakes. do you think ok just with frosting and boarders.... I will be slicing the cakes onto plates for serving... so it isn't like they are going to be seen....is plain ok?

3 replies
Baker_Rose Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 4

Personally, I would do one half sheet if you are going to do the three pies and brownies etc. I wouldn't worry about cupcakes if you have cake sliced to serve. A half sheet will easily serve 40 to 50, you don't need a huge hunk.

I used to do a lot of funeral cakes when I worked in a grocery store bakery. They were white iced sheet cakes that the tops were scored in the number of servings requested. IF they were decorated I would pipe a white rose bud on top of each piece with a pale green leaf. I only did color if requested by the client, but I really think they were always white on white with little to no decoration.

I still do this for cakes that are used for dinner service at my mother's church. The cake is for eating and isn't on display so I score the top and pipe a flower on each piece, so it's decorated on the plate so to speak. These cakes are three layer sheet cakes so the sliced piece is like a wedding cake slice. The scoring helps the people in the kitchen cut clean, even slices quickly and without having to measure each piece.

Tami icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 4

As the other poster said, 1 half sheet or 24-36 cupcakes is plenty especially if you add pies and brownies.
Truffles (aka cake balls or cake pops) is another idea.
When decorating for a furneral my thinking is we're there to help cheer up those still living. So make a nice cheery decorated cake. No need to go all out, just a nice spray of flowers or somesuch icon_smile.gif

matthewkyrankelly Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 4

Heck, if you are comfortable and can afford it, a little extra won't hurt. You could even bring a few extra boxes for the family to bring some home. They often have to entertain people who are expressing condolences and having the extra on hand is nice. I would make the extra and let the family know why. They will appreciate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%