2000 Cupcakes...hints/tips?

Baking By Dayti Updated 15 Dec 2011 , 10:46am by zdebssweetsj

Dayti Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 14

So I got a corporate order for 2000 cupcakes! In boxes of 4, 4 different flavours/icings per box. I have to start making and getting them delivered on Monday and be done by Thursday, so an average of 125 boxes of 4 per day. I have all my boxes, ingredients, labels, customers' Christmas cards to stick on the tops etc.
Would you ice the cupcakes in their boxes? Or ice a bunch on the counter and then transfer them? I usually put the cupcakes in the boxes and then ice, but that would be boxes of 12/24... Decoration for these is a simple rose swirl and an icing image circle/logo on the top (I have printed half already).
I think I will be better off icing them and then boxing them, just because 125 boxes takes up loads of space... thoughts? Any other hints that I might find helpful or points I may have overlooked?! Thanks!

13 replies
chelleb1974 Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 14

I would ice them in their boxes already. That way you won't get icing on your hands and possibly mess up the ones you've already done.

Can you line the boxes up on your counter, say 10 at a time, and then ice them all, box them up, then do another 10? (or however many you can fit on counter, table, etc....)

If not, then I'd say line them up in a half sheet pan or so, ice them all, then box them.

Good luck!

bmarlow001 Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 14

I almost choked when I read "2000" 8-/

I made 200 apple cupcakes 2 weeks ago and I put them in a assembly line with 2 other people.. if you have that kind of help I would go that route.. it really helped with time.

kakeladi Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 14

Sorry I can't offer any suggestions ...... all I can say is
GOOD LUCK icon_smile.gif

LisaPeps Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 14

I would ice in the box, it would be far quicker compared with carefully putting them already Iced in the boxes. Just line up as many boxes as you can, ice them and then stack them somewhere and carry on.

Annabakescakes Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 12:56am
post #6 of 14

I am only doing 1000 this week but what I am doing is baking and putting them in trays and icing, then freezing. Once all are baked and frozen I am going to put them in their smaller assorted boxes. Freezing them allowed me to make and decorate a couple hundred a day and have them stay fresh. And I can practically mash them together to save space and I won't mess them up when I package. Have fun!

karateka Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 2:24am
post #7 of 14

Sounds like you've gotten good advice. All I can say is that one tool I absolutely wouldn't work without is lots of BOURBON!

SugarandSpice3674 Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 2:48am
post #8 of 14

Congrats on your huge order! I recently finished my local farmers market, I was selling over 1000 cupcakes a Saturday and did that for over 6 months, if there is one thing I can suggest from experience and many trial and errors, is to take all your cupcakes and put each flavor on a huge tray or area and ice/ decorate all at once, then once you are done icing all of them, box them up, I was selling mine in packs of 3 and definitely found this to be quicker and efficient. Also I had all of my icing ready to go in premade 'icing bullets' so I just had to grab a new one and reload as needed , there is a huge thread on CC about icing bullets and they will save you Huge amounts of time!!! Good luck and I hope you have a blast with it!

scp1127 Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 8:45am
post #9 of 14

This may not help for this order, but I learned how to use a 24 inch piping bag for these big orders. There was information on this in Buddy's first book. Then I started watching the show to see how they manipulated it. It is an amazing time saver. And no mess. No bullets, just a big container of frosting. The bags are on Amazon.

Dayti Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 2:40pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks everyone. I definitely plan on filling disposable icing bags ahead of time and dropping them in another one with the tip in to reload fast, I've done it before and works OK. I can only get enough icing for around 18 cupcakes in my bags, so I think that the 24" ones would be good for future huge orders (too late for me to buy now though). I'm still undecided on where to decorate them - I'll try doing it straight in the boxes to see how it goes. If I do 12 boxes at a time I may be ok.
I have hired help for this too... so that will be another thing since I am used to working alone. 2 people in my kitchen - she baking/cleaning - me decorating/packaging - might be a whole other nightmare!! But better than me staying up til 4am for 4 days, I hope.

sillywabbitz Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 3:43pm
post #11 of 14

Wow, congrats on the massive order. I have no advice on decorating in the box other than I'm clutzy and I would mess up a box or two in the process so I would probably decorate outside of the boxes.

My only other time saving tip, if you haven't tried it before is freezing cake batter.

That means you can pre-mix all of your cake batter well in advance. Some people freeze it in zip lock bags, cut off a corner and load the liners that way. Since I use an ice cream scooper, I freeze mine in the zip lock or glad tupperware containers. I freeze large batches and can use my ice cream scooper before it's fully thawed. I can load up a large number of 24 cupcakes pans very quickly and while they set out they defrost enough while the others are cooking. If you prefer to work with thawed batter, you can thaw it in the container by placing the container in room temp water. I would not suggest microwaving it as that would cook the batter some.

If you don't want to try it for this order, I would suggest trying it with left over batter and see how you like it. I have frozen batter for up to 8 weeks with no problems. It's also a great use of left over batter.

Good luck. I think hiring someone to help is a great idea...heck just for the clean upicon_smile.gif

Dayti Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 9:04pm
post #12 of 14

I haven't tried freezing raw batter, though everyone seem's to rave about it. I should try it at some point...would take up less space than frozen baked cupcakes I guess, which is what I do sometimes.

And I can confirm today after making/decorating just 500 of this order for delivery tomorrow, it is WAAAAAAAY quicker to decorate them in sheet pans or similar, and then move them into the boxes, than decorating them straight in the boxes. I tried it on the first 12 boxes and soon nipped that idea in the bud. It works for boxes of 12/24, but the boxes of 4 I'm using are just a pain. 4 different flavours and frostings per box and just a pain all round really!

sillywabbitz Posted 11 Dec 2011 , 9:09pm
post #13 of 14

Dayti, sounds like you're off to a great start. Thanks for the update on decorating in or out of the box. Best of luck for the rest of the order.

zdebssweetsj Posted 15 Dec 2011 , 10:46am
post #14 of 14

Wow and I thought my lil ole order was big. I baked first and I use a large pastry bag for filling my cupcake batter. Then I put CC on baking sheets and ice, then refrigerate to make them easier to box. Congrats and good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%