Good German Chocolate Recipe?

Decorating By craftingsanity Updated 9 Dec 2011 , 3:50pm by leah_s

craftingsanity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftingsanity Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 6

I'm baking a two-tiered fondant covered cake for my son's 3rd birthday next week...he wants "sherman" chocolate (lol!) for one of the tiers, and I've tried searching the recipe section for a good recipe, but the search function keeps redirecting me to the front page. Can anyone help me out with a good recipe that holds up well under fondant? This is my first time using it, so I want to make sure I've got the right kind of cake under it.

Thanks!

5 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 6

The only recipe, in my opinion, is the original. Get the green box of Baker's Chocolate (it has German's Sweet on the label) and use the recipe in the box. It is very moist and delicious. I also use the filling and icing recipe, but you need to cook it a few more minutes than it says on the label because otherwise it will be a little too runny. Since you are covering it in fondant you can use the pecan coconut icing as a filling.

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 6

I get so many raves about this cake, it does take awhile to make but I promise, anyone you likes german chocolate cake will LOVE this cake icon_smile.gif

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Inside-Out-German-Chocolate-Cake-103202

Good luck!

bmarlow001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmarlow001 Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 6

oops, I totally missed the covering it in fondant part but if that's what you want to do just leave off the glaze icing and ice it with dark chocolate buttercream or something icon_smile.gif

craftingsanity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftingsanity Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 3:00pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks, both of you! I have to admit, that epicurious cake sounds divine! Can't wait to try it out!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 3:50pm
post #6 of 6

I agree about the recipe on the label. It's excellent!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%