Can I Use Wilton Columns Without A Separator Plate?

Decorating By erin2345 Updated 10 Dec 2011 , 1:51am by leah_s

erin2345 Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 4

I rarely have to do those old school stacked with columns cakes, but I have one this weekend. Last time I think I bought columns that were tapered at the bottom and I stuck them right in the cake and used them as the support. I just went to the store and all they had were the ones that you need all the separator plates for. I am not about to spend $40 on plates!!

I was thinking of cutting my dowels to 4" (cake height) plus 3" (column height) - so 7" total, and then just balancing the top tier on top of the dowels, but having the columns over the dowel, looking like they are giving support. Sorry if that is confusing.

Is this a terrible idea? I think with a steady table we should be fine ....

Anyone have any other ideas? I should also mention that Michaels didn't even have square separator plates, only round so the plates really aren't an option.

3 replies
Unlimited Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin2345

Is this a terrible idea?

Yes.

BTW, you can use round separator plates under square cakes as long as the squares are on their own boards.

KoryAK Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 4

yes.

you need to splurge on those alternate supplies or check out another supplier.

leah_s Posted 10 Dec 2011 , 1:51am
post #4 of 4

"balancing the top tier on top of the dowels" I sure hope you're kidding. You WANT the cake to fall onto the floor?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%