Recipe For Basic Wedding Cake Batter

Baking By Linda1963 Updated 8 Dec 2011 , 6:23pm by AnnieCahill

Linda1963 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linda1963 Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 2

Hi All!
I am wanting to literally step outside of the box...cake mix in a box..and start making my cakes from scratch. I am a bit confused on what is the best for stacking. I don't want something that is complicated and expensive. Please explain the texture and difference of a sponge cake, which we here consistently on TV...or is it just terminology used according to where you are from. I want something yummy and NOT that ole dry cake mess...yuck! Honestly, I get nothing but rave reviews on the taste of my cakes which I use mixes as my starter and then add other ingredients but I'd like to step it up a notch. Also, large batch recipes would be great, some recipes don't tell the batter yield and this steers me away from even trying them. I would love to hear your suggestions Cake Central

1 reply
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 2

Why do you think there is a different recipe for "stacking?" The recipe doesn't matter. It's the support system in the cake that holds one tier over another.

I don't watch cake shows so I can't comment on the terminology they use, but I know in the UK sponge can be used to describe a fluffy cake, which is much lighter and has a more open crumb than say, a pound cake.

Also, I have never seen a recipe which didn't tell you the batter amounts. It will either say...yields x cups of batter, or the recipe will tell you what size pans to prepare. From the pan size you can generally determine how many cups of batter are in the recipe. Wilton has a chart on their website that tells you pan size, batter amount, filling amount, and the amount of icing you need to decorate.

You can typically double or even triple most recipes successfully, so I don't use a large batch recipe.

Do a Google search for white scratch off, yellow scratch off, or chocolate scratch off. Those will give you a good start.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%