Tacky Fondant

Decorating By Pamic Updated 10 Dec 2011 , 11:26pm by cheeseball

Pamic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pamic Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 8

can anyone please tell me why after decorating the cake with fondant, within a few hours the fondant becomes very tacky and looks like it is wet?

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 1:44pm
post #2 of 8

Are you sealing the cake in an airtight container? That will do it...use a cardboard box instead.

If it's not an airtight container, is it very humid in your house?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Are you sealing the cake in an airtight container? That will do it...use a cardboard box instead.

If it's not an airtight container, is it very humid in your house?

All of the above PLUS, are you putting fondant on a cold cake? If so, it's condensation forming.

It'll continue to form until the cake is at room temp. Don't touch the cake and it should dry just fine after a few hours.

Rae

Pamic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pamic Posted 10 Dec 2011 , 10:14am
post #4 of 8

in malta humidity is 100% at the moment. yes the cake cover is quite airtight actually. I cover the cake at room tempreture. any suggestions what i can do for the fondant not to become tacky?

noosalucy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosalucy Posted 10 Dec 2011 , 12:34pm
post #5 of 8

I'm from Australia and summer is always very hot and humid - an absolute nightmare for fondant cakes (I've even had fully set modelling paste flowers "melt"!). A couple of tips - firstly knead your fondant with some modelling paste powder (not too much though or the fondant will have a cracked look), once the cake is iced "buff" the cake surface with your fingers and some more of the modelling paste powder - helps to soak up any moisture and set the icing on the cake.

Good luck!

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 10 Dec 2011 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by noosalucy

I'm from Australia and summer is always very hot and humid - an absolute nightmare for fondant cakes (I've even had fully set modelling paste flowers "melt"!). A couple of tips - firstly knead your fondant with some modelling paste powder (not too much though or the fondant will have a cracked look), once the cake is iced "buff" the cake surface with your fingers and some more of the modelling paste powder - helps to soak up any moisture and set the icing on the cake.

Good luck!

Are you referring to a powder that you add water to make sugarpaste or a specific ingredient like Tylose?

Thanks!

noosalucy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosalucy Posted 10 Dec 2011 , 9:55pm
post #7 of 8

Yes it is a powder to which you add water to make flower modelling paste - the type that sets hard.

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 10 Dec 2011 , 11:26pm
post #8 of 8

Alrighty then...I don't use the mix, but whatever works in the battle against 112% humidity, right? thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%