Scratch Strawberry Cake Help

Baking By Annabakescakes Updated 8 Dec 2011 , 8:46am by elisaber

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 4:38am
post #1 of 2

I recently made one that had good flavor and okay color but was too wet and sank. Then I made one that rose but had a heavy, kitchen scrub sponge texture and the color of a soggy scab. I didn't taste it, there was NO WAY i was using it, even if it tasted like heaven.

I finally ran to WalMart and got a strawberry and a white mix and mixed them together to cut the fake everything of the strawberry mix. It was a hit, but I really want a scratch strawberry with good flavor and color! Is their such a thing? When I do a search, EVERY recipe I come up with is white cake mix and strawberry Jello...no thanks!

TIA

1 reply
elisaber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elisaber Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 8:46am
post #2 of 2

I had been looking for the same myself for the longest time, and just a few days ago I came across this recipe. The cake turned out wonderfully, and the only change I made was when the recipe calls for eggs to be added, I only added the yolks. I then whipped the egg whites, and gently folded them into the mix after I had added everything else like the recipe said. I think that helped make the cake a little "fluffier" - although I think next time I will add another couple of egg whites.

The cakes has a lovely taste of strawberry, but doesn't turn out at all pink in color so I'd add a tad of pink food coloring if that's what you're after:

Scratch strawberry cake

Recipe Yield 2 - 9 inch cake layers

2 cups white sugar
1 (3 ounce) package strawberry flavored gelatin
1 cup butter, softened
4 eggs (room temperature)
2 3/4 cups sifted cake flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup whole milk, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup strawberry puree made from frozen sweetened strawberries

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and dry strawberry gelatin until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Combine the flour and baking powder; stir into the batter alternately with the milk. Blend in vanilla and strawberry puree. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a small knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool in their pans over a wire rack for at least 10 minutes, before tapping out to cool completely.

Hope you'll like it icon_biggrin.gif [/b]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%