Tiered Cake: 8 Inch And 10 Inch Or 8 Inch And 12 Inch

Decorating By Heatherly30 Updated 7 Dec 2011 , 5:52pm by AZCouture

Heatherly30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heatherly30 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 3

Making a tiered cake with a fondant Charlie Brown Christmas scene on top. I don't want the cake to look short and squatty, but I think I need a larger space on top of the cake for the scene. Which combination of pans do you think would achieve a better look?

2 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 3

Since you'll be filling the top of the 8 inch, you should be fine with either the 10 or the 12 below. IMO, it's not the size of the bottom tiers that make a cake look squatty, it's a too big top tier where it looks like there's still room for another tier.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Since you'll be filling the top of the 8 inch, you should be fine with either the 10 or the 12 below. IMO, it's not the size of the bottom tiers that make a cake look squatty, it's a too big top tier where it looks like there's still room for another tier.

Exactly. A 14" top tier would look perfectly normal if the decoration on top filled the space perfectly. It's when nothing is on top at all that I believe 6" top tiers and larger look squatty. I do my best to have no larger than a 5" top tier if nothing is to be on top.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%