How Do I Get The Weight Of My Cake Before Baking?

Baking By hema128s Updated 7 Dec 2011 , 9:37pm by Panel7124

hema128s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hema128s Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone!

I moved to a new country a couple of years ago and just recently started my business here. The problem is, everyone prices their cakes and orders them by weight! Where I grew up, everything was one by size or dimension. Is there'd a way to get the approximate weight of my cakes before baking?

Thanks I'm advance!

4 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 5

Do you have a scale? Weigh and record the weight of your empty cake pans. Then, weigh each pan after you've filled it with batter and subtract the empty weight.

Or, if your scale has a tare feature, all you need to do is place the pan on the scale, zero it out, then add the batter.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hema128s

Hello everyone!

I moved to a new country a couple of years ago and just recently started my business here. The problem is, everyone prices their cakes and orders them by weight! Where I grew up, everything was one by size or dimension. Is there'd a way to get the approximate weight of my cakes before baking?

Thanks I'm advance!

Are you really wanting the approximate weight of the cake batter before baking or the approximate finished weight without actually baking? There will be a significant difference between finished baked weight depending on the flavors requestedcarrot or chocolate, for example. What flavor(s) would you like help with, and what depth (2" or 3" deep) layers?

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 5

What country are you in? Over here, a lot of bakery products are sold by weight, but they use the finished baked/decorated weight, not the weight before baking. The easiest and simplest way is to get yourself a kitchen scale, it doesn't have to be flashy. I do sell mine per portion though, maybe you can just try and implement your way with your customers.

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

What country are you in? Over here, a lot of bakery products are sold by weight, but they use the finished baked/decorated weight, not the weight before baking. The easiest and simplest way is to get yourself a kitchen scale, it doesn't have to be flashy. I do sell mine per portion though, maybe you can just try and implement your way with your customers.

Ditto Dayti. In the beginning I weighed all my finished cakes for future reference but came to a conclusion that for custom decorated cakes it's a nonsense to sell by weight. I won't sell a 5 kg cake with detailed fondant and gumpaste decorations, flowers and figures for the same price as 5 kg grocery store shortcake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%