Make A Tiered Fondant Cake For The First Time?

Decorating By 3asybak3ov3n Updated 7 Dec 2011 , 11:40pm by MamaMia808

3asybak3ov3n Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3asybak3ov3n Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 5:38am
post #1 of 5

Hello,

I am extremely anxious to test my luck at making a tiered cake and after doing some research I think I am almost ready but I still have a few questions before I begin, any and all help and advice would be amazing icon_smile.gif

To start I am going to attempt a christmas themed 3 tier cake, using a 10 in, 8 in, and 6 in round pans. I have found a classic chocolate recipe that I would like to use with a simple buttercream filling and then covered with a rolled fondant (I will not be making the fondant from scratch). How do I go about making the cake recipe large enough to fit these pan sizes with two layers in each? Is it just as simple as doubling or tripling the recipe?

Next, I have been looking at various cake boards and drums and was wondering is it absoultely necessary to have a board/drum and dowels between each tier? If so, does anybody know of any decently priced online suppliers? where I live these boards and drums can end up costing a pretty penny.

If anybody could please get back to me with this information it would be greatly appreciated, thanks very much icon_smile.gif

4 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 6:23am
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3asybak3ov3n

Is it just as simple as doubling or tripling the recipe?

Hi, and welcome!

Yes, it's just that simple... here's the industry standard serving chart with batter amounts you'll need to fill your pans:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3asybak3ov3n

Next, I have been looking at various cake boards and drums and was wondering is it absoultely necessary to have a board/drum and dowels between each tier? If so, does anybody know of any decently priced online suppliers?

Yes, it's absolutely necessary to use a support system between each tier to prevent collapse. A drum can be used for the base, and you can find them at Wal-Mart or at your nearest cake decorating supply store/hobby shop. (I wouldn't use an online supplier unless you're looking to buy in bulk.) Here's more info on tiered cake construction:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/stacked-tiered-cake-construction.cfm

3asybak3ov3n Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3asybak3ov3n Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks so much for those links, I had been searching for a reference chart like the wilton one for awhile and hadn't been able to find anything so thank you for sharing icon_smile.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 5

The first thing you need to do is go to YouTube and type in Sandra Lee Christmas Cake.

Of everything she does in that video, don't do any of it.

MamaMia808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMia808 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 11:40pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

The first thing you need to do is go to YouTube and type in Sandra Lee Christmas Cake.

Of everything she does in that video, don't do any of it.

LOL! icon_lol.gif
Totally agree!!!

I also agree that you definitely need cake board and dowels to avoid a collapsing cake. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%