How Long Will A Decorated Cake Last In Fridge/freezer?

Decorating By HokieFan Updated 7 Dec 2011 , 3:50am by BlakesCakes

HokieFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HokieFan Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 3:08am
post #1 of 4

Last night I made a Duke basketball court cake for my husband's coworker for a work party tomorrow. The cake is completely decorated because my students had a performance tonight (worked 7am-9pm) so I had to finish it all last night. When I got home tonight I found out the man's wife had a mild heart attack (she's okay). He won't be back to work til Friday. The coworkers are willing to take a pic to show him and just eat it tomorrow, but I'd love him to see it. Is it possible to freeze it? Will it stay good in the fridge til Friday? It's the WASC recipe (though I did yellow butter) with a rich chocolate frosting and a little bit of store bought vanilla tinted blue (please don't give me grief for using store bought....my job is very time consuming and sometimes it's just not worth it to make a whole batch when you only need 1/2 cup). icon_wink.gif

I appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

3 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 3:27am
post #2 of 4

If you have the space, freeze it.

Box it up, wrap box in 2 layers of saran wrap, 1 layer of foil.
Place in fridge 24 hrs. before delivery--STILL BOXED & WRAPPED.
A few hours before delivery/display/serving, place boxed & wrapped cake on counter to come to room temp.
Cut away wrappings & box only after cake is at room temp.
Serve.

The fridge actually causes cakes to go stale faster, so freezing really is the way to go.

Rae

HokieFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HokieFan Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 3:34am
post #3 of 4

Thanks for your advice. The cake is actually on the base of my plastic cake carrier to make it easier for hubby to take to work. Would this work well if the cake was just placed in the freezer in that? Should I still wrap it up in saran and foil?

I never put his work cakes on a cake board. It's always easier this way for everyone, but this situation may change my mind!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 3:50am
post #4 of 4

If it were me, I'd wrap the carrier in saran & foil for safety's sake. If you're successful in keeping out room air and defrost properly, you won't have any issues with condensation forming.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%