Staircases And Fountains....are Those Still Around?

Decorating By Kellbella Updated 9 Dec 2011 , 9:05am by fearlessbaker

Kellbella Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 2:43am
post #1 of 9

Really, do people still want cakes with the plastic staircases, plastic people and fountain on the bottom? I had a very young girl, (20 yrs old) send me a pic of a cake like that! I thought maybe her mom picked it out...I really thought those are not to popular nowadays! I have no idea where to get these, can I rent everything because I really don't want to buy it.

8 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 3:18am
post #2 of 9

yes they are still around and I had a young bride order one over the summer. It was a PIA cake to do and you can get the pieces on Wilton's website. I bought them and passed the cost onto my customer.

Kellbella Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 9

PIA...oh no icon_cry.gif not what I wanted to hear! I've never done one before .....great. Any tips you can pass on? icon_wink.gif

CWR41 Posted 7 Dec 2011 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 9

Stairways For Tiered Cakes:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/stairways.cfm

Fountain Tiered Cake:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/fountain-tiered-cake.cfm
(in the photos, the pillars are assembled upside down... don't do that!)

JadedJenn Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 3:55am
post #5 of 9

When I got married 6 years ago, we had a fountain style wedding cake. For some reason I was really into the idea of having that fountain! It was a beautiful cake but I think the style was kind of dated, even for 6 years ago.

Kellbella Posted 8 Dec 2011 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadedJenn

When I got married 6 years ago, we had a fountain style wedding cake. For some reason I was really into the idea of having that fountain! It was a beautiful cake but I think the style was kind of dated, even for 6 years ago.

That's what I feel too..it's dated, but whatever she wants, I guess that's what I'll do.

cakelady2266 Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 5:41am
post #7 of 9

Unfortunately they are still around. I had a couple brides inquire a few months back. After they looked at some more recent magazines, books and such they figured out on their on that style had seen it's better day. I think of it like this...would you go to a business meeting dressed in bell bottoms and a halter top. Sure it may have been the top fashion and you may have rocked it out in 1974 but it's gonna look a little out of place in 2011.

I started out doing cakes like that in 1989. But the trend wore down mid 90's, thank goodness. It is a VERY VERY dated look and I can't understand anybody wanting to do something so out of style in this day and time. I can honestly say that knowing from personal experience how nerve racking it is to put a big a$$ cake above a fountain it's not worth the money. There is 14 inches of nothing but air and some rickety plastic columns before you get to the bottom tier of cake. So no thanks I'm not that baker anymore.

azchic Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 6:43am
post #8 of 9

The last time I saw a fountain cake was at a friends weding over 10 years ago. It was a hot summer day, the cake was melting and the fountain sank into the bottom tier. The mother of the bride was just using a spoon to scoop cake onto guests plates. It was a lot of hassel dealing with the fountain, I honestly thought they had long gone out of style even before her wedding.

fearlessbaker Posted 9 Dec 2011 , 9:05am
post #9 of 9

If you want the fountain and stairs I have one, it wad used once. you could have it a low price.

PM me .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%