Glitter Cake!!! (As In Glitter In The Cake...mad?)

Decorating By SorchaScrumptious Updated 13 Dec 2011 , 6:47pm by lilbitacake

SorchaScrumptious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SorchaScrumptious Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 8

Hi Everyone,
Forgive me if this sounds silly, I'm an amateur! I'm sending one of my favourite cake mixes to my friend for Christmas and one of the components is my vanilla sugar...which got me thinking about adding colours to the sugar...which got me thinking about adding glittery colours, like shimmer powder, edible glitter or sparkles...does this work at all??
Will it just sink to the bottom of the cake?
Will it just melt away?
Does adding glitter to a cake mix actually make a glittery cake? icon_biggrin.gif
SS xx

7 replies
LouLou79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LouLou79 Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 8

Hi, i cant help you much but i do know that the edible glitter although called edible and is non-toxic will not harm you if consumed but the actual website (cake-stuff.com) does say that if using glitter on a cake you should be able to remove the glittered item before consumption as it should only be consumed in very small amounts.
hope this helps.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 8

1) it will not show when baked in a cake.
2) as other poster said, disco dust is really not edible - especially in the amounts needed to be baked in a cake.
3) Disco dust is finely ground plastic icon_sad.gif
4) the amount one would need to add to change a color in a cake would make it taste really bad icon_sad.gif

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 8

The batter will surround each glitter flake and create a fog over it - thereby removing any possibility of a "shine".

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 8

No, no real way to get sparkly baked cake.

Edible glitter melts in moisture and luster dust--the EDIBLE Crystal colors luster dust, or any other type, for that matter--just mixes in with the batter.

And of course, NO ONE would want disco dust in their cake, as it's fine grain PLASTIC (and some colors contain traces of metals)---YUCK!

Rae

SorchaScrumptious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SorchaScrumptious Posted 13 Dec 2011 , 5:02pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the replies everyone! I did think it was a bit of a long shot seeing as I've never seen a glittery cake myself, but always wanted to know the answer to that! Hopefully someday some bright scientist will come up with a way to make it possible icon_smile.gif
Oh and totally did not know that disco dust is ground plastic! I'm glad now that I use it sparingly but really interesting (and a bit shocking) to learn that!

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 13 Dec 2011 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 8

Sometimes I add colors to my vanilla batter- either a rainbow effect, or colors to match the outside. It takes longer, but people are always surprised when they cut it open! If you don't want to do true rainbow- you can do a bright swirl - it's not glitter- but it's still a cool effect!

lilbitacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilbitacake Posted 13 Dec 2011 , 6:47pm
post #8 of 8

I done a swirl cake and instead of addding icing color to it, I used kool-aid to color the battered with and it gave it a glitter looked and flavor to it also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%